Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Try to remember...  (Read 3311 times)

gildahl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:43 pm
Try to remember...
« on: March 11, 2019, 09:20:23 am »
I think it's generally recognized that Space Invaders in 1978 launched the golden age.  For those of us old enough to already be regulars at the arcade before the golden age, what were the games that drew you in--and in particular,  what was the the very first arcade game you recall playing (from before the "GA")?  For me, I think Sea Wolf may have been the first, with Night Driver, Wild Gunman, and Fire Truck (played co-op with my brother) the ones best remembered. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:05:32 pm by gildahl »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Try to remember...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 09:29:12 am »
Night Driver, Space Invaders, Atari Football, and Sky Raider under the rodeo grandstand at the Arizona State Fair is my earlier memory of seeing games in the wild. I was hooked.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 10:06:43 am »
Pong
Gun Fight
Stunt Cycle
Sprint
Sea Wolf

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 10:22:18 am »
My early memories weren't of Arcades, but of machines in the lobby of various stores. Haunted House, Pong, Fire Truck, Sea Wolf and Boot Hill stand out.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 01:34:55 pm »
Pac-Man is the first game I ever remember dropping a quarter into.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 01:38:00 pm »
Depthcharge for me.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 01:58:45 pm »
My early memories weren't of Arcades, but of machines in the lobby of various stores. Haunted House, Pong, Fire Truck, Sea Wolf and Boot Hill stand out.

I was pretty limited for as far as I could go and our city was pretty small at the time. The local mom and pop corner store down at the end of the block was owned by a couple of chinese folks whose son I went to school, and was friends with. I must have been 6 or 7 at the time. They had a moon patrol machine in the dark back corner. I must have put piles of my own money in there as well as some of theirs. they'd give me some quarters marked with X's that I could use to play.

get 'em hooked with some free ones, then they will put their whole allowance in there. gawdammit it worked!

I didn't see a real arcade until I went with mom to vancouver to visit my grandmother who lived in burnaby. The large mall we went to had a huge, multifloor arcade called "Circuit Circus" when I'd realized there were more games like the moon patrol back home.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 02:17:41 pm »
I'm not old enough for your criteria but I need to get my post count up.

Earliest ones I remember are Demolition Derby and the Star Trek cockpit.  I had it in my head that you lasted longer if you drove in reverse in Demolition Derby.  Many years after I played that Star Trek at the Santa Monica Pier the same exact unit showed up on Ebay and went for ~$2,500. 

slickam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 06:46:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 03:47:54 pm »
I'm not old enough either, but the first for me was the Lunar Lander on free play in what's now called the Telus World of Science Edmonton. I haven't been there in years, so I don't know if they still have it, but in the late 80s and early 90s we used to go there every month or two, and I'd try to get in at least a couple games each time.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 04:24:14 pm »
I remember having the Pong home system with the paddle controllers.  Not sure there were any video games before that.  Later I remember an Asteroids at the local 7-11 which later was changed out for Asteroids Deluxe.  The Zero's Pizza had a Wizard of Wor.  And a local arcade called FunSpot which had many different 80's games.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 07:54:45 pm »
Babe’s Burgers in SW Missouri, near Joplin, had a Galaga. I was smitten. Stogies, up the road a piece, had a Flash Gordon pin that is still on my grail list

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 09:01:48 pm »
The First I ever played was a space invaders cocktail cab in my local pub.
But the first game I remember playing in a actual arcade I think was Daytona USA.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:33 pm
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 09:14:56 pm »
I believe one of my first was the original Breakout. Also, Atari Football and Sprint. Those are the oldest that I remember playing.

J_K_M_A_N

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 09:33:41 pm »
I think it's generally recognized that Space Invaders in 1978 launched the golden age.  For those of us old enough to already be regulars at the arcade before the golden age, what were the games that drew you in--and in particular,  what was the the very first arcade game you recall playing (from before the "GA")?  For me, I think Sea Wolf may have been the first, with Night Driver, Wild Gunman, and Fire Truck (played co-op with my brother) the ones best remembered. 

I saw all those but didn't much care for them. Pac-Man was the first to get my attention. I was no good at it, and didn't care for that. Money wasn't being dumped in my pocket, and outside was free - and freeing.

I had it in my head that you lasted longer if you drove in reverse in Demolition Derby.

Hah, yeah. We thought that because of some demolition derby movie scene on TV.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 09:46:47 pm »
Yeah it was Ms. Pac-man for me.  We used to have this little general store near the house (think Ike Godsey from the Waltons) that had a Ms. Pac-man in it.  I had to stand on a milk crate to play.... must have been 3 or 4.