Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRTEmudriver 2.0 Setup shows no compatible device - maybe because of AGP?  (Read 2636 times)

TGGC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2019, 08:57:05 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hello everyone!
I have an old PC which I want to use for GroovyMame. It has Win7 64bit installed and a Radeon 3450 HD for AGP. I tried to use the CRTEmudriver 2.0 Setup, but it will not list a compatible device. The list of the device is empty. The install button is greyed out.

I suspect the AGP version of the card to be the culprit, because I have the same problem with the regular legacy catalyst drivers. They will not install. I need to use a special version, e.g. the AMD Catalyst AGP V12.6 Hotfix.

Anyone already with the same problem? Is there a known workaround to this? I would be find with using older version of CRTEmudriver or just hack ATIs drivers to manually.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Check if your motherboard needs specific drivers for the agp bus.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

TGGC

• Offline Offline
Thanks for the pointer! Motherboard is an ASUS P5VDC-MX. I could not find a driver, but there seems to be a BIOS Update:

P5VDC-MX 0810 Bios
Fix compatibiliy issue with some AMD VGA cards

Sounds like it might help, so I will try to flash the BIOS and report back.

TGGC

• Offline Offline
Ok, here are my results so far, maybe it will also help someone in future with similar problems:

The Bios Update of the ASUS P5VDC-MX was applied. It did not help with the CRTEmudriver 2.0 Setup. So I removed all ATI drivers again and pointed windows manually to the driver directory. It won't install and tell me VGA default adapter has the most recent driver. So I did the same with CRTEmudriver 1.2 and with this driver the video card is detected as an AGP Version, the driver installs, so I can use it now with Testsigning enabled. I use VMMaker 1.4 and have the desktop displaying fine on my CRT with the old 1.2 driver. The newest Groovymame starts and runs fine, but I have to see if I can make it switch resolutions, because for now it just seems to use the desktop resolution. If it does not, I think I am still fine and will just install my most used resolution and select them manually - so I am happy anyway.

The 2.0 setup still cannot find a compatible device, but I am not entirely sure if its really a bug with the detection or a problem with my somewhat broken combo of card and mobo.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Make sure to run GM with admin rights, that's probably the issue. Too bad the new drivers don't detect the card.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

TGGC

• Offline Offline
I located the problem, Switchres checked only through the resolutions of the second DVI connectir and did not like any of them. Setting -screen "\\.\DISPLAY1" from command line or ini fixes this and it will pick now a 15khz modeline.

I looked through the changelists of the driver and think I will keep the old driver for now.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
I looked through the changelists of the driver and think I will keep the old driver for now.

That driver lacks some patches like the one for forced monitor detection, but it you managed to get it working you're fine without that.
Steps to create a log: