Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Which candy cabinet should I get? choose 1 horizontal and 1 vertical

Horizontal - Astro City
1 (20%)
Horizontal - Blast City
1 (20%)
Horizontal - New Astro City
2 (40%)
Horizontal - New Net City
0 (0%)
Vertical - Astro City
0 (0%)
Vertical - Blast City
0 (0%)
Vertical - New Astro City
1 (20%)
Vertical - New Net City
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Help me choose 2 candy cabinets for GroovyMame  (Read 2334 times)

thrasherx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 07:10:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Help me choose 2 candy cabinets for GroovyMame
« on: March 07, 2019, 11:41:48 pm »
Background:
I'm a longtime arcade lover who built a 4 player 39" LCD arcade cabinet about 6 years ago. I haven't updated the post with the (almost) final product, but you can see the shape of it here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134338.msg1385191.html#msg1385191

I've always loved the Japanese candy cabinets but am just now feeling motivated to take the plunge. GroovyMame will be the emulator of choice, combined with CRT EmuDriver. 

My IDEAL setup would be one horizontal and one vertical cabinet, each with their own PC. I just bought two ATI HD6450s and already have a few small form factor computers to throw in there: i5-3470, i5-2500k, and i5-2400.

Question #1: Without seeing them side by side, would I be disappointed with a trisync monitor if I use MAME HLSL or similar filters for 15 kHz games? I see people saying that the trisyncs don't do older games justice. If the answer is that I should just get trisyncs, then that makes the decision simpler.

Question #2: Are there any vertical shmups that run at 31 kHz? If so, I probably would get a trisync because shmups, beat-em-ups and fighters are my favorite genres.

Question #3: Do the monitors need to be manually toggled to change resolutions, or can windows do it? I've seen CRT EmuDriver has presets for trisync monitors, but am not clear if any manual intervention is needed to switch.

Anyways, vote above and let me know if I'm missing something important. Thanks in advance!

pubjoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:13:07 pm
Re: Help me choose 2 candy cabinets for GroovyMame
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 04:57:51 am »
1. Subjective.  Some New Net Citys come with a Toshiba PF which gives about the best 15k image you can get from a Trisync.  It’s definitely a nice-to-have but only if you make good use of the 31k mode.  In my opinion it’s 15k output still isn’t near as good as the Nanao MS8 usually found in Astro Citys or the MS9 in New Astro Citys.  The Blast City has a reputation for being flakey, I don’t have any experience with it.

I’m only really interested in 15k games.  There are a few times when it’d be nice to have 31k support but personally I’ll put up with an interlaced image on these occasions rather than a blurrier 15k image for the majority of games.  It depends entirely on the games you’ll mostly be playing, so...

2. The fact you’re having to ask this tells me that trisync needn’t be a priority for you.  Ikaruga is a 31k biggie I guess.  The vast vast Majority of the best vertical shmups (Cave, Raizing, Psikyo etc) are 15k.

3. Some (most?) trisync monitors are autoswitching and I’ve read people say they send all modes from a PC to the VGA input.  I have no personal experience of this and I’m not sure of details.

I think you should just see what’s available at what condition and price and be open to either monitor type.

I haven’t voted because you shouldn’t rule out options before looking at what’s available.  I’m also confused about the horizontal/vertical thing.  You can always rotate.

That said I would usually recommend an Astro City.  They’re an iconic Sega cabinet, they’re cheap, they’re common and the 15k image from the MS8 is superb.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 05:46:27 am by pubjoe »

pubjoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:13:07 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 05:20:29 am »
Btw
would I be disappointed with a trisync monitor if I use MAME HLSL or similar filters for 15 kHz games?

You wouldn’t be needing any filters with a trisync monitor because that defeats the purpose of it having native support for all modes.  If you have a 31k-only monitor you can use basic scanlines to great effect.

(I say this knowing cools might turn up and complicate things  :laugh: )

planexcvs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2019, 11:47:57 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 02:25:37 pm »
New Astro City with a NVS-4000 power supply and MS9 will hit the sweet spot.

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 03:46:31 am »
A bit messy atm (who's isn't?)
Horizontal
http://puu.sh/Dc81W/533ce5c8da.jpg
Vertical
http://puu.sh/Dc82s/d5ce2baade.jpg

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 04:53:12 am »
Btw
would I be disappointed with a trisync monitor if I use MAME HLSL or similar filters for 15 kHz games?

You wouldn’t be needing any filters with a trisync monitor because that defeats the purpose of it having native support for all modes.  If you have a 31k-only monitor you can use basic scanlines to great effect.

(I say this knowing cools might turn up and complicate things  :laugh: )

Buy whatever you can find thats in good condition with a good screen now rather than wait, prices are just going up and up.