Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMame Setup  (Read 3452 times)

aj8302

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2020, 08:48:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GroovyMame Setup
« on: March 03, 2019, 11:05:31 pm »
So I’m trying to reinstall groovymame after my pic crashed and there a part I dont understand. It goes...4. Create the following folders: C:\GROOVYMAME\ini and C:\GROOVYMAME\ini\source.... it won’t let me creat a folder with a slash \ what am I missing or doing wrong? What’s the most current version of groovymame and the most current tutorial?

b4nd1t0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 10:21:43 am
    • b4nd1t0's repository
Re: GroovyMame Setup
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 02:45:28 am »
Download the Groovymame from calamity'S Google drive and you are OK, or download the original mame from mamedev site and swap the original executable, in this case you need to create only the mame.ini.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:48:58 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 05:01:20 am »
4. Create the following folders: C:\GROOVYMAME\ini and C:\GROOVYMAME\ini\source.... it won’t let me creat a folder with a slash \ what am I missing or doing wrong?
Sounds like maybe you're trying to include a "\" in the folder name when you create the folder.   :dunno

Assuming that they don't already exist, to create those two folders via command line:

1. Navigate to the C:\GROOVYMAME\ folder.

2. Create an "ini" folder (make directory) in the current "GROOVYMAME" directory by typing, "mkdir ini" and ENTER.  (no quotes)

3. Navigate to C:\GROOVYMAME\ini (change directory) by typing, "cd ini" and ENTER.

4. Create a "source" folder (make directory) in the current "ini" directory by typing, "mkdir source" and ENTER.

Scott

aj8302

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 08:43:55 am »
Download the Groovymame from calamity'S Google drive and you are OK, or download the original mame from mamedev site and swap the original executable, in this case you need to create only the mame.ini.

How do I get to his google drive?

aj8302

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 08:51:33 am »
4. Create the following folders: C:\GROOVYMAME\ini and C:\GROOVYMAME\ini\source.... it won’t let me creat a folder with a slash \ what am I missing or doing wrong?
Sounds like maybe you're trying to include a "\" in the folder name when you create the folder.   :dunno

Assuming that they don't already exist, to create those two folders via command line:

1. Navigate to the C:\GROOVYMAME\ folder.

2. Create an "ini" folder (make directory) in the current "GROOVYMAME" directory by typing, "mkdir ini" and ENTER.  (no quotes)

3. Navigate to C:\GROOVYMAME\ini (change directory) by typing, "cd ini" and ENTER.

4. Create a "source" folder (make directory) in the current "ini" directory by typing, "mkdir source" and ENTER.

Scott

Yes I was cause it really doesn’t give you any other instructions on what to do. so I was just trying to do exactly what it said with no luck. I’m not ver  knowledgeable with computers and programing. How do I creat an ini file? You say type “mkdir source” where do I tyoe that? I’m sorry if it sounds like I’m being a D@;$ I’m not trying to be. Just  frustrated with the process and the crt. Part of just wants to take out the crt put it in the garbage and grab something newer lol

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

aj8302

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 09:05:41 am »
Is the one from calamity google drive just ready to go? I have to make no changes?

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 09:36:30 am »
Is the one from calamity google drive just ready to go? I have to make no changes?

The recent ones are full packages and should be ready to go.

Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

aj8302

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 10:08:36 am »
Thank you I will give that a try.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:48:58 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 10:51:21 am »
Sorry, my brain got stuck in linux command line mode earlier.   :lol

I was just trying to do exactly what it said with no luck. I’m not ver  knowledgeable with computers and programing.
Check out this introduction to Command Line (typed) commands compared to the Graphical User Interface (mouse clicks and icons) commands you're used to using in Windows.

Even if you don't need it right now, it's good info to know.

How do I creat an ini file?
You can do it via the command line:
1. Find the name of the GROOVYMAME executable -- should be "mame.exe" or something similar.
2. Windows key -- "cmd" to launch the command line window as shown in the video.
3. Navigate to C:\GROOVYMAME using the "cd" (change directory) command as described in the video.
4. Type, "mame.exe -cc" and ENTER.  The "-cc" tells MAME to "create config". (generate the mame.ini file)

or

You can do it in a GUI window.
1. Right click on the executable and make a shortcut.
2. Right click on the shortcut -- properties.
3. Change target from "C:\GROOVYMAME\mame.exe" to "C:\GROOVYMAME\mame.exe -cc".
4. Click OK to save the change.
5. Double click on the shortcut to generate the mame.ini file.

You say type “mkdir source” where do I tyoe that?
You can type it at the Command Line prompt, but it's easier to use Windows Explorer GUI to "right click -- new -- folder" then type in the folder name.

Scott