Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Getting Vizio TV to power on with SmartStrip PC Power  (Read 3967 times)

jclemens78

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2019, 10:34:48 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Getting Vizio TV to power on with SmartStrip PC Power
« on: February 27, 2019, 01:36:05 am »
I have a Vizio D50x-G9 TV in my new arcade cabinet with a Smartstrip PC Controlling the Power.  I've got my arcade button on the back of the cabinet to Power the computer on but the TV is just staying in standby mode.  I've tried a variety of tricks: Taping over the power button to hold it down, various TV codes to get to the service mode etc.  Any ideas on a solution to have it power on without the remote when the Computer powers up?  I've looked into the Pulse Eight HDMI CEC adapter.  There has to be a better solution than spending $50 and then not having it push the TV on until Windows Boots.

Thanks for any help!

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
Re: Getting Vizio TV to power on with SmartStrip PC Power
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 10:16:19 am »
Why not just leave the TV always on and let it go into standby mode when not in use?
Stick a second power strip/battery backup that's always on with the TV plugged into it, and then your smartstrip for everything else into the always-on strip.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 10:58:41 am »
Buy (or make) a smart strip, turn the TV off and on to toggle everything else.  That's how I do it on my pedestal cabinet.

jclemens78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 01:38:43 pm »
Why not just leave the TV always on and let it go into standby mode when not in use?
Stick a second power strip/battery backup that's always on with the TV plugged into it, and then your smartstrip for everything else into the always-on strip.
I've tried that with leaving the TV on and trying to let it go to standby mode but when leaving it in the Always On part of the Smartstrip when the PC shuts down I get the No Input Message on screen with a ton of Other Dialogue about changing to a different input etc.  I've left it on for 15 minutes and the screen doesn't go off.  Not sure at what point it goes to standby mode but it sure isn't quick.   

While for me it's not the end of the world to grab the remote and power it on/off, I'm trying to make it Kid proof for the little ones that love playing the new cabinet. 

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 02:25:26 pm »
Could you have inadvertantly turned off the auto-off feature when looking through the menus? Page 27 from the manual says:

Setting the Auto Power Off Feature
To help save energy, your TV is set by default to turn off after 10 minutes
without a video or audio signal. This feature can be deactivated.
To set the Auto Power Off feature:
1. From the TIMERS menu, use the Up/Down Arrow buttons on the
remote to highlight Auto Power Off.
2. Use the Left/Right Arrow buttons on the remote to change
whether the TV will turn off. If you don’t want the TV to turn off
when there is no signal, change the setting to Off. Otherwise,
select 10 minutes.
3. When you have finished setting the auto power off time, press the
Exit button on the remote.
https://cdn.vizio.com/user-manual/PDF/2019/TV/UM/D24h-G9_D40f-G9_D50x-G9_V505-G9_UM-ENG.pdf

jclemens78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 04:27:16 pm »
Weird.  I had checked that I thought.  It must have done a reset somehow as it was off.  I'll do a retest of this.  Yeah I can try to just leave the TV on all the time and have it go to standby/sleep.  It's too bad the Vizio's don't remember the On/Off state after power loss.  I was trying to find the codes for service mode to see if there was something in there but couldn't come up with anything. 

In 2019, you think it would be so easy to just have it power up with the computer etc getting a CEC push or whatever.  Hopefully I can find a more efficient long term solution than just leaving the TV on or in standby 24/7

Thanks!

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 04:41:06 pm »
It would be clunky and a little overkill, but you could also set up a Raspberry Pi as an HDMI CEC control:
https://blog.gordonturner.com/2016/12/14/using-cec-client-on-a-raspberry-pi/

The pi could do nothing more than boot and issue a turn on tv and switch to PC input command.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 04:42:47 pm »
You could also crack open the TV, solder a couple of wires to the power button, and use the PC to drive a toggle to momentary circuit.  Tap into the 5 or 12 VDC meant for a CD drive or something that's dead when the PC isn't on. 

I was looking into doing this and then decided I could live with using the TV as on/off control on the smart strip.

jclemens78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 05:05:08 pm »
Well in hindsight with the Auto Power Off after 10 minutes turned on it wouldn't go to standby mode.  It just fully turned off.  So that wasn't an option either. 

I did undo the back of the case earlier and was looking at the power button but despite building this whole thing my tracing and soldering skills aren't on par with the rest of these abilities and figured I'd totally brick the TV if I continued so I closed her up.

I do have a spare raspberry Pi I can look at tonight.  It ran my first build 18 months ago and I was using that until I knew I wanted something WAY more powerful to run old and newer emulation as well. You are right, it is Definitely overkill but at the end of the day Functionality is all we care about right.

Thanks for the ideas guys!  I'll give them a shot next....

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:54:30 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 06:34:49 pm »
I did undo the back of the case earlier and was looking at the power button but despite building this whole thing my tracing and soldering skills aren't on par with the rest of these abilities and figured I'd totally brick the TV if I continued so I closed her up.
Another option to consider is an IR Blaster, a device that acts like a remote control, to send the TV power on command.

Scott

adamcian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 12:14:33 am
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 07:35:54 pm »
Well in hindsight with the Auto Power Off after 10 minutes turned on it wouldn't go to standby mode.  It just fully turned off.  So that wasn't an option either. 

I do have a spare raspberry Pi I can look at tonight.  It ran my first build 18 months ago and I was using that until I knew I wanted something WAY more powerful to run old and newer emulation as well. You are right, it is Definitely overkill but at the end of the day Functionality is all we care about right.

I use a Rapberry Pi Zero W for this, so for me at $5 it doesn’t feel like ‘overkill’ at all and it’s a versatile solution that you can adapt for later needs ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 09:52:18 pm »
Use a pinball knocker to hit the power button.

jclemens78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 11:36:18 pm »

I use a Rapberry Pi Zero W for this, so for me at $5 it doesn’t feel like ‘overkill’ at all and it’s a versatile solution that you can adapt for later needs ;)

So I'll give this a shot and I have a Pi 2 or 3, but I'm beyond dumb on this Pi stuff.  I ran RetroPi before and flashed an image.  I'll try to use the link above and see what I can come up with.  How fast upon powering up the Pi does it send the command to Wake a TV?  Is it fairly instantaneous or is it once the Pi is fully loaded?  Was looking at the Pulse Eight as well but didn't like the Idea of it not sending the Wake Command till 20-30 seconds later once Windows loaded and the startup script ran. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 11:45:52 pm by jclemens78 »

adamcian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 12:51:27 am »

So I'll give this a shot and I have a Pi 2 or 3, but I'm beyond dumb on this Pi stuff.  I ran RetroPi before and flashed an image.  I'll try to use the link above and see what I can come up with.  How fast upon powering up the Pi does it send the command to Wake a TV?  Is it fairly instantaneous or is it once the Pi is fully loaded?  Was looking at the Pulse Eight as well but didn't like the Idea of it not sending the Wake Command till 20-30 seconds later once Windows loaded and the startup script ran.

It’s really relatively simple. Just flash a simple OS onto your SD card to put into your Pi, like Raspbian. Once you have that you have to install the cec-client (in link above), and then just Google “raspberry pi startup script” so you can learn how to stick the HDMI CEC ‘Turn On’ command in there (typically just put it at the end of your .bashrc file). It will run that script immediately after powering on, so depending on some small limiting factors, it will only take a couple seconds to register to your TV.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 10:14:06 am »
Use a pinball knocker to hit the power button.

This is clearly the only reasonable option.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 11:00:21 am »
I've posted 3 simple solutions already and he's gone straight to Pi, so I thought a crazier one would catch his attention.

:dunno

:lol

jclemens78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 11:24:06 am »
I've posted 3 simple solutions already and he's gone straight to Pi, so I thought a crazier one would catch his attention.

I'm not gonna lie.  I laughed pretty hard at it.  But I can only imagine the nice hole in the TV my 2 year old would make.  Plus the Pi is a free solution that I already have so I thought it would be worth looking at.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 11:54:29 am »
Eh, but seriously, you could do it.  I've considered it a few times.  Power supply and transistor rigged to a relay.  Pretty simple.

:cheers:

adamcian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 04:40:12 pm »

I dunno why all y’all are acting like Raspberry Pi is rocket science or not a ‘simple’ solution. It’s the most straightforward, viable, non-invasive/hacky solution to this problem with an upside of even more value/functionality later.

jclemens78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 01:04:53 am »

I dunno why all y’all are acting like Raspberry Pi is rocket science or not a ‘simple’ solution. It’s the most straightforward, viable, non-invasive/hacky solution to this problem with an upside of even more value/functionality later.

For me I'm strictly a Windows PC guy.  So venturing into the PI world is somewhat greek.  I'm attempting to plug away on this but it's rough when you keep getting error while trying to follow simple directions.