Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Guncon2 on latest Groovymame?  (Read 19500 times)

Neilalphazeta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2023, 10:35:42 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Guncon2 on latest Groovymame?
« on: February 16, 2019, 12:44:02 pm »
I read that some people have found success on running their Guncon2 light guns on Groovymame, but it was a while ago, so I was wondering what are the latest drivers people use, and if it is even possible at all to still use a guncon2 on the latest Mame versions such as 2.05~2.06?

shiryu55

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 03:46:44 am
Re: Guncon2 on latest Groovymame?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 07:03:34 am »
In my case, the problem is that the driver wingun 086b that in systems x32bit works well, in the x64bit system does not let itself be installed, with what you are looking for an x32bit compilation of the groobymame 206 or you can not put the guns.

I'm with a translator if you do not understand it, ask me.

Neilalphazeta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 10:22:43 am »
So you mean I would have needed to install Windows 7 32bit version to be able to use the Guncon 2 in Groovymame 2.06 32bit?  :(

shiryu55

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 03:46:44 am
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 06:30:45 am »

at the moment I have it tested on the xp32bit system not e tested to windows 7 32bit

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 08:12:33 am »
Using 32 bit Windows just because of those drivers is a mistake, you'd better look for an alternative gun that has support for modern OSes. If only the guy that originally made the drivers had provided the source code, I'd volunteer to port them to 64-bits, just to avoid people sticking to dead operating systems.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Dacasks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2021, 09:30:30 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 06:47:18 am »
Take a look on this topic

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=154492.0

There's a new alternative that works on newer Windows OSes, but as I said there (last post), it's not worth the way it's now.

It's a good try though. It doesn't work that good, and sadly the guy that was working on it apparently gave up.

I tried the "Wiimote" alternative sometime ago... but it sucked as well. Don't know if was my setup. I didn't try too hard though, perhaps I should go back into it.

Neilalphazeta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 04:40:12 pm »
Thanks for the link. Pity the creator stopped work on it. :(

Using 32 bit Windows just because of those drivers is a mistake, you'd better look for an alternative gun that has support for modern OSes. If only the guy that originally made the drivers had provided the source code, I'd volunteer to port them to 64-bits, just to avoid people sticking to dead operating systems.
Thank you Calamity. I wish he had shared them too.  ;D

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 08:22:04 pm »

If you feel like a driver project, how about picking up this one for the Guncon 3 and Linux?

https://www.beardypig.com/2016/01/06/guncon3/

The GC3 is not as good as the GC2 but way better than any other home IR gun and it works on all displays.

On the GC2 drivers for Windows 7, you could just ask White Ghost for them. He's still around I think.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:24:20 pm by Zebra »

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 04:36:28 pm
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 02:42:11 am »
I was able to get 3rd party guncon2 to work on windows 7 x64 with the EMS Topgun driver, the official gun doesn't work with this driver due to the rolling x issue.
The only thing missing to get the gun working perfectly is a Screen Flasher. I've been looking all over the internet and couldn't find any way to flash the screen.
If i raise the brightness from within mame to about 1.7 then the gun works really well, but obviously that is not a good solution.
Plus, with the ems top gun driver the gun works well even on super resolutions.
Like i said, the only thing missing is a screen flasher.
So, if anyone knows of a way to get the screen flashing on an OS Level, that would be perfect.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 02:43:50 am by Foxhole »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 11:58:36 am »
Using a 3rd party GC2 gun is not a great solution for me. I have tried a lot and none are anywhere near as good as the official Namco ones. Their accuracy sucks. Poor lenses and badly designed electronics.

My experience has been that the Guncon 2 works well in Windows if used with real light gun games. From what I have read, a lot of the issues people have had is when trying to use them with games that never used a light gun like Terminator 2.

IMO, the best approach is to use an official GC2 or an Act Labs gun for real light gun games like Time Crisis or Op Wolf. Then pick up a directional gun (with an Apac) for games like T2 and Op Thunderbolt etc. An Aimtrak is probably the only option currently for CCD gun games. That is, arcade guns that used an IR camera with sensors mounted around the screen. That is.... unless someone feels like finishing the GC3 PC drivers...

I think it is worth using a real light gun even if it means sticking to an older 32 bit mame for gun games. It is not like we have seen any real progress for light gun games with later versions of Mame.

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 01:32:03 pm »
Using a 3rd party GC2 gun is not a great solution for me. I have tried a lot and none are anywhere near as good as the official Namco ones. Their accuracy sucks. Poor lenses and badly designed electronics.

My experience has been that the Guncon 2 works well in Windows if used with real light gun games. From what I have read, a lot of the issues people have had is when trying to use them with games that never used a light gun like Terminator 2.

IMO, the best approach is to use an official GC2 or an Act Labs gun for real light gun games like Time Crisis or Op Wolf. Then pick up a directional gun (with an Apac) for games like T2 and Op Thunderbolt etc. An Aimtrak is probably the only option currently for CCD gun games. That is, arcade guns that used an IR camera with sensors mounted around the screen. That is.... unless someone feels like finishing the GC3 PC drivers...

I think it is worth using a real light gun even if it means sticking to an older 32 bit mame for gun games. It is not like we have seen any real progress for light gun games with later versions of Mame.
I've had different experience, the Guncon2 that i'm using has excellent accuracy and works reliably, it only needed a bit of manual tweaking in the guncon control panel, afterwards it was spot on, furthermore it has served me for many years without failing.
The official Guncon2 won't work perfectly in any situation, even in xp 32. Smog's drivers won't work correctly with the gun due to the rolling x issue and Wingun also has some issues with it, so the only real option to use a Guncon2 is a 3rd party. Perhaps it's possible to use the first guncon with a converter.
Personally, i think the only thing needed is some sort of an application or something to make the screen flash white when pulling the trigger or clicking left mouse button.
Just to clarify about wingun, i've included a portion of the readme file:

"--Troubleshooting/Known problems:--

The Rolling X problem is not fully fixable, we do not have all the information we need. Because of this, support for guns in Rolling X mode is a hack. The user MUST do the following with guns in Rolling X mode:

When bringing the gun back onscreen from being offscreen, it must be done on the left or right side of the display. It cannot be on the top or bottom of the display.

The gun should not be jerked from side to side, smooth motions work best.

Guns in rolling x mode will always experience these problems:

After pointing to a black or dark spot for a second or so, the gun may skip to the other side of the screen. Simply wave it offscreen then back on, or across the center in order to regain correct positioning.

The gun cannot be moved across a dark center screen. If this situation occurs, you will need to bring the gun to the section you need to point at from the left/right edge (whichever is closer).

Some guns (specifically the Namco official one) will jump to the center of the screen occasionally. This can cause the gun to move to the wrong side of the screen the same way a black spot can. I have done all I can to fix this, the gun is returning an incorrect position when it is in a darker but not black area.

For all guns with the rolling x problem, you might have best luck shooting targets on the egdes of the screen by bringing the gun onscreen from the closest left/right edge."

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 10:53:19 am »
Interesting. I had a different experience with the official Namco guns.

I wonder if it is related to lens and screen shape. I use a flat crt arcade monitor like the ones used in the TC3 arcade.

All of my monitors are fairly new and still bright too. All light guns seem to lose position when the screen is too dull.

What type of screen do you use and which 3rd party light gun did you use?

My experience with the Namco gun was more like this:

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 06:29:16 pm »
That's probably it, the flat screen. The rolling x issue is basically an issue with the gun going to 100hz mode when connected to a pc. Since your monitor is probably 100hz, that would explain why it works for you. I highly suggest you install the topgun driver if you need x64 support. I'm using 
a regular 60hz crt sony tv. This will also explain why you have a bad experience with 3rd party guns, they suck at 100hz, but work damn good on a regular 60hz crt.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 03:35:25 am »
Like i said, the only thing missing is a screen flasher.

Could you ellaborate a bit what you mean by a screen flasher? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I know nothing about light guns.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 06:33:42 am »
Basically, for a lightgun to know where you fired it needs a high brightness white flash for a certain amount of time after you pull the trigger.
For example, try running lethal enforcers and press fire, the game will send a white flash.
In windows xp, smog drivers or wingun drivers flashed the screen every time you pull the trigger.
I couldn't find anything like this for windows 7 x64, hence why i said it's needed.
Since i couldn't make the screen flash, i cranked up the brightness from within mame to 1.7, just for testing and it works perfectly like this.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 06:40:24 am by Foxhole »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 07:12:38 am »
If you're only concerned about MAME, I guess that could be easily implemented with a lua plugin.
Steps to create a log:

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 07:20:57 am »
If you're only concerned about MAME, I guess that could be easily implemented with a lua plugin.
Personally, i'd like to find a solution at OS level, so it'll work with all lightgun games and emulators, but i'll take whatever i can get.  ;)

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 07:25:33 am »
The difficulty scale is 1 vs 100.
Steps to create a log:

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 07:27:45 am »
The difficulty scale is 1 vs 100.
lol, understood.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 01:11:34 pm »
That's probably it, the flat screen. The rolling x issue is basically an issue with the gun going to 100hz mode when connected to a pc. Since your monitor is probably 100hz, that would explain why it works for you. I highly suggest you install the topgun driver if you need x64 support. I'm using 
a regular 60hz crt sony tv. This will also explain why you have a bad experience with 3rd party guns, they suck at 100hz, but work damn good on a regular 60hz crt.

My monitor is not 100hz. I have two flat CRT tri-sync arcade monitors (no image processing) and an old Sony Trinitron. It works well on all of them. I've only had issues with 3rd party guns. Issues like poor accuracy and jumping crosshairs. I have 4 official Namco guns and they are all solid.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 01:18:04 pm »
How is the gun supposed to be connected? I've seen that it has a yellow rca connector.
Steps to create a log:

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 01:20:26 pm »

Real light gun games already have the white flash when you pull the trigger.

The issues that some have described seem to be with trying to play non-lightgun games like T2 with a light gun.

Personally, I like to use the right type of gun for each game (where possible). I have directional guns for T2 and Op Thunderbolt etc, I have light guns for Op Wolf and Time Crisis and an Aimtrak for IR gun games like Teraburst and most Sega gun games.

If the goal is to have one gun for all games, I think Guncon 3 drivers would make most sense. It's the only semi accurate home IR gun currently available.

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 02:12:19 pm »
How is the gun supposed to be connected? I've seen that it has a yellow rca connector.
My vga to scart cable has a 1k resistor on h+v lines, i connected a female rca socket to pin 20 and 17.
This worked for me. I know it was common back in the day to build a circuit that converts the sync to csync, but this was unnecessary for me.

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 02:21:10 pm »

My monitor is not 100hz. I have two flat CRT tri-sync arcade monitors (no image processing) and an old Sony Trinitron. It works well on all of them. I've only had issues with 3rd party guns. Issues like poor accuracy and jumping crosshairs. I have 4 official Namco guns and they are all solid.
Please elaborate, how exactly are you connected? what OS? crtemudriver? Csync or straight from h+v? Which drivers?
As far as i know, only wingun supports the official guncon2 but still has issues.

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 02:25:58 pm »

Real light gun games already have the white flash when you pull the trigger.

The problem is that the flash that happens in the game is too late. Timing is very important with the flashing, so it's necessary that the flash happens as fast as possible without any delay from the emulator itself.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 04:11:10 pm »
I run a Windows CRT emu wingun set-up outputting RGBS to an arcade monitor. Sync for the gun is taken from the S line.

I don't think there is anything special about my set-up although I do use an Extron interface. I don't have issues with the Namco Guncon 2 on real light gun games. You can see in the video I posted how light gun games flash white in mame and how it works ok with the Namco guns for other people too.

I've only seen positional issues where the monitor brightness and contrast are set too low for light guns. This happens on the PS2 as well. I have seen more issues related to low light at the screen edge with 3rd party guns though. I found switching out the lens on 3rd party guns for the better quality Namco lenses helps a little (although nothing seems to help their accuracy).

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2019, 04:19:46 pm »
I run a Windows CRT emu wingun set-up outputting RGBS to an arcade monitor. Sync for the gun is taken from the S line.

I don't think there is anything special about my set-up although I do use an Extron interface. I don't have issues with the Namco Guncon 2 on real light gun games. You can see in the video I posted how light gun games flash white in mame and how it works ok with the Namco guns for other people too.

I've only seen positional issues where the monitor brightness and contrast are set too low for light guns. This happens on the PS2 as well. I have seen more issues related to low light at the screen edge with 3rd party guns though. I found switching out the lens on 3rd party guns for the better quality Namco lenses helps a little (although nothing seems to help their accuracy).
Wingun itself flashes the screen, you can even see in the video you posted that for each shot it flashes twice, one from wingun and second from mame.
Logically, it doesn't make sense for the gun to work with the flash from mame since mame outputs the image after processing the input. It's not just about the flash but also its timing.

josete2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2024, 10:54:41 pm
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2019, 10:34:07 am »
I have an scart like this:

It's working.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2019, 10:53:32 am »
A friend has lent me a Namco Guncon2 so I can do some tests. So if I understood correctly there are 64-bit drivers some of you are already using?
Steps to create a log:

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2019, 12:31:35 pm »
A friend has lent me a Namco Guncon2 so I can do some tests. So if I understood correctly there are 64-bit drivers some of you are already using?
These are the drivers: http://www.hkems.com/files/0807/TopGun_win7_64_beta.zip
It's important that the gun is 3rd party.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2019, 12:33:25 pm »
It's important that the gun is 3rd party.

So the Namco one I have is not 3rd party, am I right?
Steps to create a log:

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2019, 12:37:37 pm »
If it's a namco official gun then no.
But if you are using a 100hz crt then it may work.
It's not that the gun doesn't work, it does work, but for some reason it works as if it's connected to a 100hz crt.
I'd still advise you to try it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 12:45:40 pm by Foxhole »

Neilalphazeta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2019, 06:31:28 pm »
Guncon2 is what most of us have, it's arguably the most precise and best lightgun made for the consumer market. If that only works with third party guns that's already a pretty severe limitation in of itself. :/

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2019, 03:06:23 am »
Guncon2 is what most of us have, it's arguably the most precise and best lightgun made for the consumer market. If that only works with third party guns that's already a pretty severe limitation in of itself. :/
I honestly think you're exaggerating, i own 3 official guncon2, 2 g-con45, and many third party guns. And i tried them all, the guncon 2 and g-con 45 are pretty much on the same league, and as far as third party guns, well that depends on the manufacturer but except for 2 third party guns that gave me issues, most of them worked great. the biggest difference i found with the third party guns was how much light was needed for them to be accurate. Granted, the third party guns did need a higher brightness but if we're using them on a pc that will allow us to flash the screen, then there's probably a way for us to choose how bright the flash will be.
Third party guns are still available for sale on ebay and such.
As far as official guncons working on pc, just because there isn't a definitive fix for the rolling x that doesn't mean there won't be.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2019, 03:29:18 am »
I haven't had time to try the gun yet, I need to figure out how to wire the sync line into the rca, I was going to try this with my cabinet so I guess I should wire it from jamma's pin 13 which already is c-sync. I'm afraid to short the JPAC if not done properly.

I've been thinking of the rolling-x issue. You said the gun sets itself for 100 Hz. How does it look when that happens? I've never tried this so I'd like to know how it is so I can recognize it when I see it.

I wonder if the issue has to do with the gun expecting interlaced video from the Playstation 2 and being confused by progressive video from MAME. Have you tried the Namco gun with interlaced video?
Steps to create a log:

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2019, 03:51:19 am »
I haven't had time to try the gun yet, I need to figure out how to wire the sync line into the rca, I was going to try this with my cabinet so I guess I should wire it from jamma's pin 13 which already is c-sync. I'm afraid to short the JPAC if not done properly.

I've been thinking of the rolling-x issue. You said the gun sets itself for 100 Hz. How does it look when that happens? I've never tried this so I'd like to know how it is so I can recognize it when I see it.

I wonder if the issue has to do with the gun expecting interlaced video from the Playstation 2 and being confused by progressive video from MAME. Have you tried the Namco gun with interlaced video?
I captured a video for it, will take me a few minutes to compress and upload.
I tried interlaced and progressive, same issue.

pubjoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:13:07 pm
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2019, 03:57:04 am »
Calamity, I could lend you a JammASD if you’d rather not hack in an RCA slot.

I love Point Blank.

I’m interested in Zebra’s set up.  It looks perfect.  I have a drawer of guncon1 and 2s from ten years ago and I got the guncon2s to work but not very well at all (Wingun, Soft15khz, winXP 32).  I didn’t try a guncon alternative because back in the day I always found them inaccurate.  I did once try a Wiimote/Sensor bar.  It was a game of Drag the Laggy Crosshair.  That put me off IR based guns as I felt the technology is just fundamentally flawed for this purpose - I think these would only work well with a full IR screen surround like the more modern arcade gun games.

The old lightguns were the ideal tech though.  For a shooting gallery game like Point Blank it has to be near perfect or it’s a deal breaker.  Modern guns could probably pass in something a bit less crackshot like House of the Dead.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 05:04:12 am by pubjoe »

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2019, 04:15:55 am »

pubjoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:13:07 pm
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2019, 04:36:38 am »
Perhaps it's possible to use the first guncon with a converter.
I have some grey PS1 Guncons and a PS1 > USB adapter.  Iirc I didn’t get anywhere at all with the guncon1 but I might have been missing something.  Happy to test (or send to Calamity ;D ).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 04:43:30 am by pubjoe »

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2019, 04:46:08 am »
Perhaps it's possible to use the first guncon with a converter.
I have some grey PS1 Guncons and a PS1 > USB adapter.  Iirc I didn’t get anywhere at all with the guncon1 but I might have been missing something.  Happy to test (or send to Calamity  ;D )
I have a EMS USB 2 which converts the guncon1 to guncon 2, but i'm having issues with it. It works for 3-5 seconds and then the gun stops working, even the buttons, though the led on the converter itself is still on. It may be due to how i have my sync wired up though.