Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Not much going on?  (Read 43189 times)

Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Re: Not much going on?
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2019, 04:44:50 pm »
Millennials are 25-39...

Clarify when you plan on grouping Gen X'ers with Millennials you monster.

who cares  :dunno
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2019, 07:25:52 pm »
Depends on the source but most draw the line at 1980.  My wife and I are right on either side  of it, so I do enjoy teasing her about being a bitter Gen Xer.

For trend setting purposes, you stop being relevant at 27.

:cheers:

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2019, 08:12:42 pm »
Yeah I don't know all the interests of millennials but I do have a son that's 19.  As much as I tried I could not get him interested in learning how to use all the cool power tool toys I have.  I mean I've got a CNC router, metal lathe, 2 wood lathes, drill press, bandsaw, table saw, and tons of hand power tools.  The main thing building wise I got him into was 3D printers.  I bought a cheaper $300 printer and within 2 weeks he wanted a better one.  I found plans for an Ultimaker 2 clone so I said I'll buy the parts if you build it.  So he used the 1st printer to print all the parts needed to build a better printer.  I never touched it and I don't even know how to run it.  He prints out better parts than any of my older friends online in a 3D printer group.  If I need a part I just design it and send him the file.  Other than that I watched him play RocketLeague for at least 3 years straight and before that it was Minecraft and I attended two different Minecon's with him.  But he is awesome at writing software and is in his 1st year in Engineering school for Computer Science.  At one point he setup his own website selling Minecraft plugins.  I like to see kids get outdoors more often.  I was able to encourage my son all the way through Scouts and he got Eagle Scout at 17.  So when I complain about millennials I'm really talking about my own kid and his friends...lol.

I completely lost interest in all video games when I was 19. That was college time. Parties, drinking and woman. I didn't become interested again until I bought my own home when I was 27. Arcade cabs were the last thing I cared about.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2019, 10:30:56 pm »
Depends on the source but most draw the line at 1980.  My wife and I are right on either side  of it, so I do enjoy teasing her about being a bitter Gen Xer.

Yeah that chart is totally wrong.  I'm born in 79... I've been called gen x my entire life until around 5 or 6 years ago when a few idgits started calling my generation millennials.  Look we weren't born on or near the millennium so even for those younger than me the term still doesn't make any sense.  All I know is anyone significantly older or younger than me sucks and as a result my generation rules.  :)

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2019, 08:07:06 am »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2019, 09:59:02 am »
Look we weren't born on or near the millennium so even for those younger than me the term still doesn't make any sense.

You came of age around the time year 2000 rolled around.  That's the cut-off.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2019, 10:19:42 am »
I always thought I was a BabyBoomer but that says I'm a GenXer.  I'm close to the transition so I'm calling myself a BoomXer.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2019, 10:24:22 am »

Joke's on you, I was never relevant.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2019, 11:12:39 am »
Some call us late70ers-early80ers 'Xennials', portmanteau term and generation.

This morning I had an appointment at the IRS (or more precisely at my country's social security bureau that's as voracious and vicious as our IRS) to endure for half and hour a boomer lady working over retirement age, getting angry at me because she didn't know tf how their own crappy website works, the one I'm supposed to use to pay the contribution for her upcoming queen-size pension. Had to resist kicking her fat ass off that chair and steal her damn job and salary in order to ease mine and many fellow contributor's lives.

As a Xennial I feel like my real life ended in 1999, so I can't resist but look almost exclusively at the stuff of my past and waste what's left of my money on obsolete hardware 'n pop culture stuff, you know, to forget this 21st Shitury is even a thing.
Still, what's changed this 2010's decade is that I cannot buy these old pcbs and cartridges anymore, as they exchange for absolutely ridiculous money.
What's left is emulation and restoring or building the hardware environment.

But I did the 'Xennial thing', not build a legit custom cab with the woodwork, solder and CRT tinkering, but find a peculiar LCD that manages off-60Hz refreshes like its mother slept with a CRT, and a PC that can do GroovyMAME like a boss.
Not like I wouldn't enjoy a custom or modified cab proper, but that's just too much hassle and additional cost for the same thing gameplay-wise.
In fact as long as the emu side is working to play the games as intended (minus the beautiful phosphors but heh) I'm happy-enough, I feel that's the more important part.
(also I rotate the screen pretty often, and in a cab unless you manage some fashion of easy rotation mechanism, well, it's really annoying)

Not satisfied with my stick and buttons tho, but that's one thing I'm willing to fix asap and doesn't represent a massive investment in time and money.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2019, 11:28:05 am »
I think somebody needs a hug.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2019, 01:09:05 pm »
Right?  It was just a joke to PBJ.  Didn't think ya'll would get offended. 

To get this thread back on track I will post, Ond, that I took a class two months ago on how to use a CNC machine.  I want to learn so I can CNC out a Star Wars cab and build one from scratch to house arcade Star Wars games.  But like I said...time and money.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:10:49 pm by jdbailey1206 »

gildahl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:04:12 am
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2019, 02:07:56 pm »
Well, I built the BYOAC of my dreams in 2012.  It came out spectacular and I thoroughly enjoy it.  I also have a room scale VR system and do console and high-end PC gaming too, but the arcade machine fits into the mix seamlessly, gets played regularly, and I don't suspect that will change with any new gaming tech that comes along.  There's no question that nostalgia played an important role in my building the machine.  I was in my wonder years during the late '70s and early '80s, so that happened to be a big part of MY motivation to build.  But I do have to say though, that while I once seriously considered building a second machine, the first one has been so versatile that I doubt I'll ever build another--not because I've lost any interest, but simply because I don't need another and don't want to have to maintain two.  Yeah, the guts continue to evolve, and I still need to replace parts from time-to-time, but the cab itself is so solid that it should last the rest of my life, literally.

I too have noticed how the traffic here on the forum has slowed in the past few years; but honestly, this is one hobby where archival posts will tell you almost everything you need to know.  I don't think this hobby is dying, but rather that it has just matured to a point where if you were "of the age" where nostalgia was the chief driver, you probably already built your cabinet a few years ago during the "surge" when all we late Boomers and early X'ers reached middle age and found a little extra money and time to spend on our mid-life crisis projects.  If you are younger, however, you are almost certainly part of a much smaller group of arcade enthusiasts who are not driven by nostalgia as much, but more by a true love of classic gaming.  The cool thing about this is that if you are in this category, you might actually be more of a  "pure" arcade game fan than some of us older folks who can't quite decide whether we like doing this because the games of that age really were great and timeless or merely because they "take us back".  This is why I think that if arcade cabs are going to continue being built by future generations, it is going to have to be due to a continual re-discovery of what makes arcade gaming on dedicated cabinets so unique and not really possible to fully virtualize. 

One thing we can be sure of is that you can't pass nostalgia on to the next generation--they're busy making plenty of their own.  But if classic gaming played on dedicated arcade equipment in the home is able to be recognized as a worthy form of entertainment in and of itself, independent of the nostalgia--like say, table tennis or pool or foosball, which I enjoy but have no nostalgia for, then the future should continue to see classic arcade cabs as desirable gameroom fixtures for the foreseeable future along with people building and buying them.  Sure the traffic here has slowed, but I don't think it's death; I think its just what the new normal in this hobby probably looks like.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:25:23 pm by gildahl »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2019, 02:43:40 pm »
Keeping the thread on track:

For me, I'm not done with building, yet. I wasn't as active of a builder as some of you guys, rolling project after project. I enjoy building, but I enjoy playing a lot more.

My problem right now is space, and lack of tools.  Having moved from Canada to California 2 years ago, I've have to downsize a lot of stuff, including selling off a majority of my tools before the move. Also, I no longer own my old condo which I dedicated a room for my office/workshop.  My wife and I are planning on buying a house, hopefully by the end of this year, so I should be able to get the space to build stuff again.  I must be crazy to up-end our life at this age (40) but we're in a better situation now for family support, and there are a lot more opportunities for work down here in Cali.

I still have plans to build Alpha One, though it'll be a scratch build rather than a renovation as I originally planned.  It's just going to be a little while before I can start that up again.  I also have plans for a couple smaller projects that I'll reveal later on, but for now, all building projects are on hold till we can finally settle in a new home.  I'm not done yet.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2019, 03:19:00 pm »
Didn't think ya'll would get offended.
Hope I didn't sound so, I only made that rant to justify my lack-of-DIY laziness.  ;D

I could use a life-sized Astro City plushie now tho, yeah. *sob*

EDIT: they don't exist, do they? cab plushies... hey this could sell.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:21:16 pm by schmerzkaufen »

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2019, 03:29:07 pm »
Heh, I never thought of myself as a boomer but technically, according to that chart, I am one.  I have this whole fascination with the baby boomer years which pre-date me being born.  There was pinball even back then!  Anyways, now I'm getting off track.

Well, I built the BYOAC of my dreams in 2012.  It came out spectacular and I thoroughly enjoy it.  I also have a room scale VR system and do console and high-end PC gaming too, but the arcade machine fits into the mix seamlessly, gets played regularly, and I don't suspect that will change with any new gaming tech that comes along.  There's no question that nostalgia played an important role in my building the machine.  I was in my wonder years during the late '70s and early '80s, so that happened to be a big part of MY motivation to build.  But I do have to say though, that while I once seriously considered building a second machine, the first one has been so versatile that I doubt I'll ever build another--not because I've lost any interest, but simply because I don't need another and don't want to have to maintain two.  Yeah, the guts continue to evolve, and I still need to replace parts from time-to-time, but the cab itself is so solid that it should last the rest of my life, literally.

I too have noticed how the traffic here on the forum has slowed in the past few years; but honestly, this is one hobby where archival posts will tell you almost everything you need to know.  I don't think this hobby is dying, but rather that it has just matured to a point where if you were "of the age" where nostalgia was the chief driver, you probably already built your cabinet a few years ago during the "surge" when all we late Boomers and early X'ers reached middle age and found a little extra money and time to spend on our mid-life crisis projects.  If you are younger, however, you are almost certainly part of a much smaller group of arcade enthusiasts who are not driven by nostalgia as much, but more by a true love of classic gaming.  The cool thing about this is that if you are in this category, you might actually be more of a  "pure" arcade game fan than some of us older folks who can't quite decide whether we like doing this because the games of that age really were great and timeless or merely because they "take us back".  This is why I think that if arcade cabs are going to continue being built by future generations, it is going to have to be due to a continual re-discovery of what makes arcade gaming on dedicated cabinets so unique and not really possible to fully virtualize. 

One thing we can be sure of is that you can't pass nostalgia on to the next generation--they're busy making plenty of their own.  But if classic gaming played on dedicated arcade equipment in the home is able to be recognized as a worthy form of entertainment in and of itself, independent of the nostalgia--like say, table tennis or pool or foosball, which I enjoy but have no nostalgia for, then the future should continue to see classic arcade cabs as desirable gameroom fixtures for the foreseeable future along with people building and buying them.  Sure the traffic here has slowed, but I don't think it's death; I think its just what the new normal in this hobby probably looks like.

This is a great post!  Thank you, I couldn't agree more with your comments on generational nostalgia.  You can't be nostalgic for something you never experienced.  I get excited though when my kids discover something for themselves from before their "time" which they are enthusiastic about.  I don't try to impose my emotional spin on it I just let them enjoy it in their own way.  I'm hoping that's how it goes with arcade games. A few kids here and there find the joy in it for themselves.

Keeping the thread on track:

For me, I'm not done with building, yet. I wasn't as active of a builder as some of you guys, rolling project after project. I enjoy building, but I enjoy playing a lot more.

My problem right now is space, and lack of tools.  Having moved from Canada to California 2 years ago, I've have to downsize a lot of stuff, including selling off a majority of my tools before the move. Also, I no longer own my old condo which I dedicated a room for my office/workshop.  My wife and I are planning on buying a house, hopefully by the end of this year, so I should be able to get the space to build stuff again.  I must be crazy to up-end our life at this age (40) but we're in a better situation now for family support, and there are a lot more opportunities for work down here in Cali.

I still have plans to build Alpha One, though it'll be a scratch build rather than a renovation as I originally planned.  It's just going to be a little while before I can start that up again.  I also have plans for a couple smaller projects that I'll reveal later on, but for now, all building projects are on hold till we can finally settle in a new home.  I'm not done yet.

Don't worry mate, 40 is young, up-ending your life can be one of the best things you can do.  Making the big move to California would have been a big deal for a young family.  My last kid is finishing school now.  After that, my wife and I are moving north to warmer coastal country living.
I'm looking forward to watching over your shoulder as you work the magic at ZapCon on Robotron or whatever.  I have a feeling that Pinball is going to become my passion in the next few years so that's mainly where you'll find me.  I want to actually get good at playing it, and not just Gorgar either!  ;D

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2019, 04:59:36 pm »
I have a feeling that Pinball is going to become my passion in the next few years

This, unfortunately, is also a reason why some of us disappear from the arcade realm.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2019, 05:51:48 pm »
Pinball has fully entered the ranks of financial unobtanium, IMO.  Don't even bother unless you've got $5k to throw at it.  Better off bringing $10k.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2019, 06:19:03 pm »
I have no nostalgia for pinball, so I’ll never become a pinhead, but I know plenty of dudes who started with MAME or arcade games, got a pin, then chucked it all for the silver ball and now regard all arcade games as if they were Arcade1Ups. We call it “Going Full Bret” here in AZ.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2019, 06:39:52 pm »
Don't worry mate, 40 is young, up-ending your life can be one of the best things you can do.  Making the big move to California would have been a big deal for a young family.  My last kid is finishing school now.  After that, my wife and I are moving north to warmer coastal country living.
I'm looking forward to watching over your shoulder as you work the magic at ZapCon on Robotron or whatever.  I have a feeling that Pinball is going to become my passion in the next few years so that's mainly where you'll find me.  I want to actually get good at playing it, and not just Gorgar either!  ;D
Yeah it's a pretty big deal. I hate not owning property now, but that'll change soon. We had our daughter pretty late, I was 38 at the time, my wife 34 (heh, she's the millennial).  This move has really been a reset on all the life momentum I've gained. Right now I feel like we're back in our 20's, paying rent, scraping whatever we can to save for a home. The only difference is going out and partying is no longer a priority. I'd much rather get smashed at home and at arcade convention trips :D

Yeah buddy, I'll be on the Robotron there. Last year I didn't put up a big enough score to be proud of, but this year will be different.  My 3 games I'll likely put the most time in are Robotron, Gyruss, and 1942 if it's featured this year. I didn't see a 1942 there last year.  Funny, I plan on playing all the games I play regularly at home! It's all about putting up a high score for the weekend.  :cheers:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2019, 07:35:14 pm »
I have no nostalgia for pinball, so I’ll never become a pinhead, but I know plenty of dudes who started with MAME or arcade games, got a pin, then chucked it all for the silver ball and now regard all arcade games as if they were Arcade1Ups. We call it “Going Full Bret” here in AZ.

True. Well, I can't confirm the Full Bret story, but I have witnessed the transformation to full pinhead. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2019, 08:54:26 pm »
Love my pins. Love my cabs. Love my Gingerballs.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2019, 09:09:03 pm »

That's a bit pushy, but I guess I can learn to love them. What's in it for me?  :lol

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2019, 10:07:22 pm »
I'd like to restore a pinball machine - just because I love the complexity of the whole thing.  No real place to put one however..
But stranger things have happened..  My wife wants to get a real Skee ball machine..  the only place for that would be in a cold garage..  which of course would open up space for a pinball machine..  and then some original cabinets..

I love my Mame cabinet..  I use it all the time. 
and ..
this is a good thread :)
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2019, 10:10:00 pm »
I own a pinball machine. It’s in my storage unit. It might be my next restore thread.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2019, 10:11:24 pm »
Guaranteed follow from me on that thread..  and I will comment just to cheer you on :)

My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2019, 10:17:10 pm »
I bought one about 15 years ago and its still all working.  It was the one I played the most as a kid.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Not much going on?
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2019, 10:23:28 pm »
Guaranteed follow from me on that thread..  and I will comment just to cheer you on :)

Thanks brotherman. It’s actually going to be a minor restore.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:29:17 am by yotsuya »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2019, 10:50:46 pm »
The only two pins I've ever really been nostalgic about are Star Trek TNG and the Addams's Family because they were around during my prime arcade years.  Unfortunately they are two of the most popular pins of all time, so I'm not getting them anytime soon.  I still think I need to build a virtual pin. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2019, 11:03:03 pm »
First one I bought was literally the actual first pinball machine I ever played when I was a kid.  It was a Comet, my uncle bought it when the go kart place shut down, I bought it off him a couple years ago. Dumped more into it than it's worth but other than the body, everything is  mint.  Only pin I ever sold was my Street Fighter II. Guy I knew gave me a sob story on how it was his grail , so I sold it to him at a great price cause I'm a sweetheart.  He went it flipped it a few days later.

I still have comet, T2, Lethal Weapon 3 and TMNT

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2019, 11:03:56 pm »

That's a bit pushy, but I guess I can learn to love them. What's in it for me?  :lol

A warm fuzzy feeling, obviously.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2019, 11:23:10 pm »
It's not something I really want to have, but T2 was legit.... that was also in my local arcade bitd. 

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2019, 05:23:43 am »
It *IS* possible to keep nostalgia alive on these old arcade machines. Keep building them with mame or jamma boards, or buying original cabs.....  and LET YOUR KIDS PLAY THEM,

That's the way to pass nostalgia on.  If kids play them and enjoy them, it'll be part of their childhood memories to pass on to their own kids.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2019, 07:06:20 am »
Pfffft, who wants kids?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2019, 08:11:07 am »
There are a few exceptions out there but mostly it just won't be the same for kids today.  Playing at home with dad's machine even if it's a real arcade machine that kid doesn't have the same experience of losing a quarter he earned mowing a lawn and then riding his bike 2 miles to play.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2019, 08:41:19 am »
A good part of what made arcades attactive to me was the technical wonder, every year (if not every month during the maddest periods) there were new games more an more astonishing, far better than what we could have at home.
Can't reproduce that today.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2019, 10:35:32 am »
T2 and Lethal Weapon 3 are the same damn game.   :lol  LW3 is better, though.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2019, 01:48:17 pm »
T2 and Lethal Weapon 3 are the same damn game.   :lol  LW3 is better, though.

Nah, they have very similar layouts but the modes and rule sets aren't even close. I got LW3 for 1300, I couldnt pass up the purchase. I do like LW3 more.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2019, 01:50:51 pm »
I don't remember seeing that one in the wild... like ever. 

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2019, 11:01:42 pm »
Pinball has fully entered the ranks of financial unobtanium, IMO.  Don't even bother unless you've got $5k to throw at it.  Better off bringing $10k.

Yeah but you can sell it for just about the same amount if not more to buy another machine. These things hold value. So instead of having 5 grand in the bank, its in my basement in the form of a pinball machine I get to enjoy. When I get sick of it I will trade it in for another model. Pinball is still being made, sorry to say I cant just play the same old arcade games. Nostalgia only works for so long. Plus I like the random element in Pinball. Arcade machines you can figure out if you play them enough. You can learn the patterns, I find that once you get to that point on a game it because so incredibly boring. But that is my opinion. Pinball is going to be around for a while, I plan on enjoying it as long as I can.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2019, 11:04:03 pm »
"I have no nostalgia for pinball"

I dont think that matters. Not everyone is nostalgia for Pinball... hell when I was at the arcades in the late 80s I remember the pinball machines would be in the back corner covered in dust. I never enjoyed it. Now I realize it is a far superior game to play vs Arcade games. There is just a lot more strategy and skill required. And I like the challenge.