Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Not much going on?  (Read 43186 times)

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
Not much going on?
« on: February 15, 2019, 03:57:07 pm »
OND rant.. :soapbox:

Is it just me or is there not much going on in the BYOAC these days?  I had a browse through popular threads from a few years back (not my own) and there just seemed to be more actual building going on.  I'm not talking about general discussion or people offering opinions, or noob questions, I mean project content.

There are still plenty of new members coming on board.  I suspect there are people who ARE building stuff but not posting their projects.  If you know me, you know that right now I'm posting a few different things.  It doesn't have to be exciting earth shattering ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, just SUMPTHIN.

As much as I like the banter I'd like to see more projects.  What do y'all need, some incentive? 

I will say this, the standards these days are higher than back then. Various members have set the bar WAY high, which I guess sets expectation high as well.  I do miss the days of marble contact paper, Christmas tree LED lighting and nine hundred buttons because there was more going on.  In short, we were having more fun.

Oh, and while I'm ranting, you know what really gets my goat?  Some guy whose built something amazing, joins the forum and posts.......one pic, while I post everything, "oh look, two flys sitting on my bench" snap and posted!  WTF.

Sad to see many veterans gone quiet or absent, but maybe it's time for newbies to jump on the horse and show us what you got! I have an idea to improve the build rate but I'll reserve it while I check for signs of life.

By the way....much respect to my fellow builders who are building and posting their projects right now.  You know who you are.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Not much going on?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 04:13:06 pm »
For me, it's just fatigue with the same old games.  I've got a mostly complete bartop project that totally fizzled out because I realized all I'm gonna do is play Pac-Man and Final Fight on it twice and never touch it again.  Don't get me wrong, it took me 20 years to get to this point, but here I am.  There's some fun retro-style stuff on PC/Consoles, it'd be nice to see some of that ported to Pis.

:dunno

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 04:23:54 pm »
Having recently returned to the forums after many years, I certainly have had the same impression.

PBJ makes a good point too.. the cabinet that I put together years ago has had a few computer upgrades, but the same base design has served my family's gameplay needs, and most people don't have room for more than one cabinet, and a big chunk of the main demographic of people who are going to have a nostalgic drive to own a cabinet, coupled with the time and ability to build it, have probably already done it. Also, there's so much turnkey stuff now, I feel like there's a lot less end-user innovation happening.

I do miss there always being like a dozen projects going on at the same time constantly.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 04:26:21 pm »
I might have 1 last full sized VPIN build in me, but my project days are pretty much behind me.  I had more to type, but no one cares.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 05:36:30 pm »
I might have 1 last full sized VPIN build in me, but my project days are pretty much behind me.  I had more to type, but no one cares.

:lol  I care brother.

I totally get the lack of build activity for veteran members for all the reasons given.  I'm talking more about newer members who join up and just lurk.  You don't need to be a member to do that.

So I had this idea.  We used to have awards like the Mamey or UCA for innovation and contribution, build quality etc.  I don't think there's the collective appetite to organise another similar award these days, with a judging panel and all the rest of that.  I hope I have some credibility as a member who innovates or contributes.  I'd like to offer my own recognition for excellence for new builds this year.

Here's a little story before I head off to the workshop, since I need to give the coffee time to hit my brain this morning.

At the end of my eldest daughter’s junior school final year they gave awards for various categories.  I sat in the audience and watched as each kid got their award for Maths achievement or Music or whatever.  Award after award came and went.  But nothing for Suzi.  I was grumpy.  Goddamit she worked so damned hard and nothing for her?  What Gives?  Then came the final award for the night.  I have a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye just typing it…  This award was the big one.  This award was for overall excellence and outstanding achievement for that year.  I heard my own daughters name announced and nearly did a ---smurfing--- backflip out of my chair I was so happy for her.  Any dads here who know that joy?

She was to keep the engraved crystal trophy for 1 year until it was time to hand it to the next recipient.  It bore the names of all the previous year’s winners.

It’s just an idea but I would love to give that recognition to someone here for the same thing.  In the same way, to keep for a year and then pass on. Should the hobby be a competition?  No, but we should encourage new builders, recognise excellence and get some momentum/innovation back into the forum.  I say yes.  What say ye?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 06:05:17 pm »
All I can say Ond is I've spent a lot of time reading some of your painting threads and watching your videos.  I will say I'm not sure I got the patience to sand 2000 grit for an hour though...lol.  I ended up buying a really nice Fuji HPLV gravity sprayer to try to get better finishes.  I've only gotten to spray a small control panel so far but it sprayed really sweet.

When I build stuff I enjoy copying what I've seen others build because it always ends up having a lot of things I've got to figure out myself or things I end up changing to fit my own taste or ideas.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 06:16:30 pm »
All I can say Ond is I've spent a lot of time reading some of your painting threads and watching your videos.  I will say I'm not sure I got the patience to sand 2000 grit for an hour though...lol.  I ended up buying a really nice Fuji HPLV gravity sprayer to try to get better finishes.  I've only gotten to spray a small control panel so far but it sprayed really sweet.

When I build stuff I enjoy copying what I've seen others build because it always ends up having a lot of things I've got to figure out myself or things I end up changing to fit my own taste or ideas.

Hey Gilrock, it's great that you've got value from that tutorial.  You’re right, the forum is a huge asset when it comes to learning.  As an example I'm learning a ton of stuff from experts in the CRT monitor area.  Without those guys and their efforts I wouldn’t be able to build my CRT based project.  Speaking of excellence in builds you are a current excellent builder!  I'm enjoying following your builds very much.  OND will be buying you a beer at ZapCon at the very least.  :cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 06:23:16 pm »
I just don’t think many people are interested in building anymore. They want to be able to buy something that affords them a quick and easy availability to play games. That doesn’t mean they won’t hack it and add stuff to it, I just don’t think they’re interested in building full-size cabinets anymore, based on the popularity of kits, CNC plans and Arcade1Ups. It just is what it is.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 06:34:17 pm »
I just don’t think many people are interested in building anymore. They want to be able to buy something that affords them a quick and easy availability to play games. That doesn’t mean they won’t hack it and add stuff to it, I just don’t think they’re interested in building full-size cabinets anymore, based on the popularity of kits, CNC plans and Arcade1Ups. It just is what it is.

^Exactly this.  And people here say those A1Up cabs are good for the hobby. At least with CNC plans you can build a cabinet with your own theme, and quality controls. That's halfway to BYOAC.  But the A1Up fad is killing the building scene.  I'm sad that some you lot think they're a good thing.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 06:56:36 pm »

I’ll drop my two cents as a noob.  Seeing the quality that some people achieved made it intimidating to even start posting.  Hell I was inches from buying a cab until I didn’t hear back from the company on some specifics I wanted.  That led me here, and my stubbornness for wanting things to be a certain way forced me to try.

Now that I’ve started, I think I’m may end up enjoying building more than playing games ;D  The stuff this hobby has forced me to learn is fascinating, I look at the world differently now, constantly wondering how the hell people made all the stuff around me.  Maybe I’m in the minority, but up until I started I guess I was in the majority. 

Seeing step by step instructions on how to build things is what gave me the courage to start, I think it’s why Flynn’s arcade and OND’s Metropolis is so heavily copied/used.

I always thought it would be a kick to see a BYOAC collaborated machine with step by step how it was built, put together the best designers, have them explain how they do it, pass it to the best builders, have them show how they do it, then paint, then wiring, then art.  Hell I bet you could even get a go fund me from the community to build it.  Now that would have definitely got me going quicker!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 06:58:40 pm »

I’ll drop my two cents as a noob.  Seeing the quality that some people achieved made it intimidating to even start posting.  Hell I was inches from buying a cab until I didn’t hear back from the company on some specifics I wanted.  That led me here, and my stubbornness for wanting things to be a certain way forced me to try.

Now that I’ve started, I think I’m may end up enjoying building more than playing games ;D  The stuff this hobby has forced me to learn is fascinating, I look at the world differently now, constantly wondering how the hell people made all the stuff around me.  Maybe I’m in the minority, but up until I started I guess I was in the majority. 

Seeing step by step instructions on how to build things is what gave me the courage to start, I think it’s why Flynn’s arcade and OND’s Metropolis is so heavily copied/used.

I agree with a lot of the points stated in this post

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 07:08:05 pm »
Yup. Even if they steer people in the wrong design directions. I don't know how many times I gotta mention how that CP shape design doesn't ergonomically work for 4-player position in Chance's design. But his thread is a tutorial, so sheeple just follow along and don't bother making common sense decisions for themselves.  But hey, as yots says: build what you dig.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 07:40:52 pm »
I've been dumping ALL my efforts into my dart hall. And that includes arcade and pinball repair... more regularly than I'd like.  :dunno

I play more games while at Zapcon than the rest of the year combined, and I don't feel like I play that many there. I'll be lifting my drinking ban that weekend... :cheers:
%Bartop

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 07:44:02 pm »
Think my building days are gone unless someone asks me to.
My interests have swayed more towards the real hardware side of things.

Once Opt2not hooks me up with some artwork I will prob do a little thread on my A51 cab improvements but lifes kind of in the way of anything else atm.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 07:45:52 pm »
Think my building days are gone unless someone asks me to.
My interests have swayed more towards the real hardware side of things.

I think most of us have gone that route

hurricanefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2020, 10:39:14 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 08:47:27 pm »
As a new member, I really love reading about the in's and outs of making a cabinet.  I spent the past year playing with RetroPie and want to branch out to pc emulation so I can play light gun games . I just ordered some computer parts that will get here next week. Once I have the computer up and running, I'll then get into the actual design of what I want my cabinet to look like.  I really wish a lot of the posts on here had working pics but I totally get it was different image hosting options over the years.  I don't have a clue how to uses sketch up so the design part will be kinda challenging. I appreciate how much you guys have put into populating the forums with good builds and answering questions.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 09:50:39 pm »
The main issue for me is the total lack of arcade quality peripherals available for the PC. I'm tired of being disappointed. I like arcade shooting games but I would rather play nothing than use my Aimtrak...

also.... the supply of affordable used arcade parts has dried up. They want $150 for a broken Time Crisis gun on ebay these days and $200 for an "untested" operation wolf gun.... it just costs too much to experiment with new build ideas.

The only reason to build a cab for me would be to preserve the arcade experience. I feel totally uninspired by most recent attempts with awful LCD monitors and nothing but a pair of joysticks in a wooden box. I'd rather save the space and use a pad.

My memory of arcades is realistic guns with recoil and sit down dedicated cabs with moving seats and quality force feedback. The home console caught up and overtook the arcades for everything else decades ago...

And a side issue.. this forum has too many sub-categories. It's a mess and I can rarely be bothered to search through it. It's hard to be motivated to write up projects for a sub-sub-forum that gets 3 views a month. It makes you feel like nobody would care if you posted your build.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 10:56:59 pm »
I've been dumping ALL my efforts into my dart hall. And that includes arcade and pinball repair... more regularly than I'd like.  :dunno

I play more games while at Zapcon than the rest of the year combined, and I don't feel like I play that many there. I'll be lifting my drinking ban that weekend... :cheers:

That's fair enough, you have a real growing community with your darts hall.  It's a cool path you've taken related to the arcade hobby in many ways.  I aim to play more games at Zapcon than I did on my first visit.  It will be just me this time.   >:D

As a new member, I really love reading about the in's and outs of making a cabinet.  I spent the past year playing with RetroPie and want to branch out to pc emulation so I can play light gun games . I just ordered some computer parts that will get here next week. Once I have the computer up and running, I'll then get into the actual design of what I want my cabinet to look like.  I really wish a lot of the posts on here had working pics but I totally get it was different image hosting options over the years.  I don't have a clue how to uses sketch up so the design part will be kinda challenging. I appreciate how much you guys have put into populating the forums with good builds and answering questions.

Great that you're doing your research. It's you guys I'm directing my comments to mainly.  There's enough existing information within this forum to never have to ask ANY questions in order to build a real quality cabinet.  The questions you have, have been asked and answered many, many times over.  I get impatient (as do other veterans) when the same well covered questions are asked by people who can't be bothered to search first.

Actually that reminds me of this one weird dude on here some years back who did this opposite over the top documentation thing where he continually cross referenced every bit of information from the forum with links within his project   I’m not sure if he ever actually built anything, he just went crazy with his info gathering references!

I encourage you newer guys to post your projects.  Yes it’s a bit intimidating, so what, everyone starts somewhere.  Just please PLEASE, do your research first.  You can quickly build up some knowledge about good design principals, artwork and technology.  Download Sketch-up and have a play.  It’s completely fine to hand draw your plans (I have before). 

For my own part I Intend to keep building and sharing for at least this year and the next.  There will come a time when I’m done with building anything arcade related for good.  I’ll still be here but my focus will be on other things.

I’ll re-assess my idea for an OND award for excellence during and after ZapCon.  It would be something nice, sparkly, SHINY and cool.  Or maybe just clouds in my coffee ……

@ Zebra - just post your project in the Projects main sub forum for views and feedback.   The forum may be a mess but its worth searching through.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:11:07 pm
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 10:59:30 pm »
I would agree with Arroyo. I went back and forth on if I should post my first build because I know it is crap. I am the first to admit that. But I did not have as many tools as I have now (didn't even have a router which is now my favorite tool) and I had not yet learned things I have now learned by lurking on this site and watching a lot of woodworking videos on youtube. I did end up posting it to try and get more people to see that not all projects are like the ones we see so often here. I cannot tell you how many "first" builds I have seen on here that make me think, holy crap, I have NO talent and should not share anything I have done. But I wanted to show what I started with and I tried to post that I had learned a lot on that build and would do better on the next. I think many people cannot build things like what the great builders on here build (I want to just hang out and watch some of these builds...crazy talent). Also, I cannot help but wonder how much money goes into some of these projects. That may be a deterrent for some.

I have been a member on this site since before the crash which showed everyone starting an account on about the same day around February 2002 (I probably joined around 1999ish or maybe 2000?). It has slowed down quite a bit but I think that is because there has been so much innovation, it is hard to come up with something new and if you do come up with something new, it is because you have crazy talent (looking at you OND). I am guessing there are quite a few people that have come here for ideas and help and have built great cabs but they maybe feel like they just have a regular cab and it is not worth posting. Personally, I like to see all of them and I love the step by step (mostly because I don't know how to do a lot of the things done here so it is cool to see and learn from).  Not sure how to get more people to post all their projects. Good or a learning experience.  ;)

J_K_M_A_N

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 11:19:16 pm »
As a previous Mamey judge, I can tell you that the project count has dropped pretty steadily since 2008. I used to keep a "Projects to Watch" thread and rarely did anything spark much interest. Interesting projects became so infrequent, that the team just lost interest.

The Arcade1up cabinets seem like they got the last mile of arcade fans. Many of the people who are excited about them and using them to build arcades in their homes aren't the BYO type. It'll definitely convert a few users to traditional arcades. They are super excited and it's enjoyable to see people so happy about Nostalgia. At this point, if I were new and looked around to see what options I had, I doubt I'd build from scratch.

As for me, I'm building a few things and doing a few other arcadey things. Nothing Project Announcement worthy - some Rpi stuff, some A1up conversions, and Wii-U stuff.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 11:22:51 pm »
I just don't have the time or energy anymore.  I used to have at least one hardware-related project and multiple software projects in the pipeline at any given moment.  I'm currently working on jack and squat.  My situation is extreme, but still... life just gets in the way as you get older and our community isn't bringing in a lot of the younger generations.  Translation:  We're getting too old for this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 11:28:51 pm »
We're getting too old for this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

Probably true! LMAO

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 11:56:09 pm »
You guys have a choice?...Stop swinging that hammer or dragging that air hose and you will die, perhaps not from starvation, but most likely from a head full of ideas and a broken heart.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2019, 03:21:01 am »
Well said, Jennifer.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2019, 07:21:08 am »
It is like every project in life.  You start by researching, learning to put everything together, maintain it, and then close it down and learn from your mistakes.  Same can be true to this hobby.  The software used to drive it is pretty much complete, then there is the ethics issue of what is allowed to be played on it. New hardware to drive it like the pi, and long assumed dead copyright licenses coming out of the closet with new retro products.

Since the hobby is 20 years old, you have probably moved on with family, work or jail, and you have found something better to occupy yourself.

Yes there are the new devices that awaken that initial curiosity and build, and there are dust covers hiding your last project, with the view to good willing it to someone who is entering the hobby for the first time.

Personally I have way too much in my life to even get my Stargate completed (its all there including the dead boards), and that 1Up is perfect for those one game sessions I have time for.  It is just life, and I am sure I am not alone in that situation.  Maybe one day if I retire I will get another crack at the hobby again, or by then the 1Up will be that last victor standing.

I'm sure someone will come along and start a new build, or we will see the latest 1Up cabinets and piss and moan about it.  It has been a fun 20 years, and we have seen all the arcade games being emulated in Mame and the drama surrounding it.  We have seen amazing builds, and learned from some incredible talents in woodworking and graphic manipulation. 

I would never in a million years realized how popular this hobby is, and to some extent lucrative, in regards to parts and builds.  There is something for everyone, but I too see the light at the end of the tunnel (and it is not someone with a torch), and thanks to Saint for putting up with us and maintaining this site.  For what it is, a vessel of information.

There is definitely enough material on here for another book.   ;D
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 08:39:27 am »
It is like every project in life.  You start by researching, learning to put everything together, maintain it, and then close it down and learn from your mistakes.  Same can be true to this hobby.  The software used to drive it is pretty much complete, then there is the ethics issue of what is allowed to be played on it. New hardware to drive it like the pi, and long assumed dead copyright licenses coming out of the closet with new retro products.

Since the hobby is 20 years old, you have probably moved on with family, work or jail, and you have found something better to occupy yourself.

Yes there are the new devices that awaken that initial curiosity and build, and there are dust covers hiding your last project, with the view to good willing it to someone who is entering the hobby for the first time.

Personally I have way too much in my life to even get my Stargate completed (its all there including the dead boards), and that 1Up is perfect for those one game sessions I have time for.  It is just life, and I am sure I am not alone in that situation.  Maybe one day if I retire I will get another crack at the hobby again, or by then the 1Up will be that last victor standing.

I'm sure someone will come along and start a new build, or we will see the latest 1Up cabinets and piss and moan about it.  It has been a fun 20 years, and we have seen all the arcade games being emulated in Mame and the drama surrounding it.  We have seen amazing builds, and learned from some incredible talents in woodworking and graphic manipulation. 

I would never in a million years realized how popular this hobby is, and to some extent lucrative, in regards to parts and builds.  There is something for everyone, but I too see the light at the end of the tunnel (and it is not someone with a torch), and thanks to Saint for putting up with us and maintaining this site.  For what it is, a vessel of information.

I have a challenge for you.  I bet you can't answer the following question in 15 words or less. "How old are you and when did you last post a build on BYOAC?"  If you can properly answer that question in 15 words or less you can take ten American dollars from my hand at ZapCon when you meet me. A single word more in a response post = challenge failed.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 09:54:53 am »
I love the build threads in just about any forum.  On mine - there were way more watchers than people who added to the thread..  But maybe that's how it goes.
I agree as stated earlier - I think people don't get into building much for the love of building any more..  i.e.  I love the journey more than the destination about 95% of the  time...
But I think that's the exception more than the rule.
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2019, 09:58:23 am »
I have built one arcade and five years later it does not get played.  There are just more important things in my life as of right now.  I often find myself thinking "Why should I build another cab and waste all that time for it to collect dust?"  I also have a collection of parts that were intended for "grand ideas" and now they too are collecting dust.  I feel like I have wasted too much money on what could have been compared to what has come to fruition.  Maybe that was poor planning on my part.

Before I came on here to just get advice from everyone for my FFJR build and to my surprise I have made good friends along the way which is hard for me to do IRL.  That is why I keep coming on without any new builds.  Its good to ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- with you guys and hopefully one day I will have something new to show when I have the time and money.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 10:12:21 am by jdbailey1206 »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2019, 10:32:21 am »
Funny. That same lack of time is what got me back into arcade games. Modern games require a large time investment. I don't have hours to spend in front of a screen. Arcade games can be played for 5 minutes here and there.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2019, 11:46:33 am »

I have a challenge for you.  I bet you can't answer the following question in 15 words or less. "How old are you and when did you last post a build on BYOAC?"  If you can properly answer that question in 15 words or less you can take ten American dollars from my hand at ZapCon when you meet me. A single word more in a response post = challenge failed.

60 years young and look here   :burgerking:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2019, 11:51:26 am »
i've had to many little projects that needed doing on the house to work on arcade stuff.
so last summer I banged out 90% of my outside stuff.
doing the inside stuff this winter and purging my basement of all the clutter and crap I have so I can have a dedicated workshop.
I have the tools but not the space anymore.

i've got a RPI powered cabaret cab that needs painting and no place indoors to paint it.
I have a cp panel all ready for a bartop that needs cutting but again no place to work on it.

the rest of my rpi's have found their way into dedicated mini consoles and i'm starting to lean towards building replica cabinets for original arcade hardware hooked up to CRT TV's with JROK boards and eventually RGB mods will be used.
i picked up a phoenix board set dirt cheap.
no idea if it works but it is pristine clean and cost me less than a case of beer so i'm good if it's bad and I for some reason can't fix it.
the thought of building a phoenix cab from scratch appeals to me though.

also, my kids are now at the point where I don't need to watch them all the time so I have more time to work on projects.
Hell I can run to Home depot for a few minutes without having to pack them up in the car now.
which is huge.
So what i'm saying is I feel this summer I will actually finish some of the projects i've started and post some up. :)

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2019, 12:01:30 pm »

60 years young and look here   :burgerking:

A link to a wall of text is an automatic disqualification. Do not pass Go. Do not collect ten American dollars.
%Bartop

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2019, 12:33:59 pm »
also, my kids are now at the point where I don't need to watch them all the time so I have more time to work on projects.

I am waiting to get out of this stage.  My daughter is too young to be left alone to her own vices.  The awesome thing though is she is starting to take interest when I am working on anything so I cannot wait until she can help me with building.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2019, 01:53:35 pm »
Its an interesting hobby.  I run into people I would think share the same interest and then they just seem snobby if you mention building something instead of only owning originals.  I like both and I do own a real pinball machine.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2019, 03:24:19 pm »
I feel for the members who simply don't have the time to be building right now.  Job or family commitments can fill nearly all of your time.  I do have a bit more time these days for personal interests than I did a few years ago. 

There used to a good variety of indirectly related projects I remember on BYOAC.  People were building things like photo booths, sheds, game rooms, home theatres and posting those up.  Nephasth’s darts hall is a current example of that kind of thing.  It doesn’t just have to be cabinets to post and share. 

I don’t think I’ll be starting any more builds this year, I have enough on my plate but I’m still excited about Vpins like Malenko’s or Gilrock’s or Laythe’s amazing hybrid or restorations like jennifer’s.  Thank you for sharing those I mean it, they really inspire me.

Oh yeah, I am also working on a comic book, again, not really related to the hobby except this comic will be about one of my builds.  I’ll post something of this in the future.

So the current stats say Average registrations per day:  15.57.  I’m not sure what the sample base for that is.  Is that for all time or some smaller time period?  Anyway at the very least new members are still coming on board.

The general murmur amongst some veterans seems to be the crowd don’t want to build their own machines and that Arcade1ups are the future of the hobby.  Maybe so, (I hope not).  The first word in the forum name BYOAC is “Build” Your Own Arcade Controls.

Are YOU a new member just freshly minted and reading this?  Introduce yourself and tell us (me) why you joined up?  Was it just for the banter, to ask questions? What is your interest in the hobby?  It’s not a trick question, I’m not trying to be clever I just want to know your thoughts.  The future of this hobby does not rest with long time members who are over building stuff, it rests (mainly) with fresh blood who have discovered or are re-discovering the joy and art of games from a different era.

I love those games not because I’m a gamer, I’m not skilled at playing them.  I love them for the art and incredible creativity that went into them.  Arcade games were designed to be challenging, so challenging that many were over in seconds or minutes at best for new players. I watched my friends master them when I was young.  I’m in awe of my friends here that are skilled arcade gamers.   

out51d3r

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 03:04:10 pm
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2019, 04:09:06 pm »
I'm new here, though the first time I lurked here was probably around 2000.  Settled with building sticks back then, due to lack of space and lack of funds to build a full cabinet.  Built a few sticks over the years.  Landed a pretty good job a couple of years ago, so now i'm looking at toys to spend my money on.  There's still several arcade games I play on a regular basis, so a cabinet will see use.

I'm the type of person that doesn't consider something to be "mine" unless I built it(or at least modded it), so I'm building instead of buying.  I've built joysticks and controllers of various types.  Been building computers for 25 years, and wrote my first program around 32 years ago.  Most of my project work involves either electronics or programming, so I won't have a problem on that side.  I'm mostly here to research building the cabinet itself, and to ask questions about that.  Working with wood isn't something I've done alot of.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2019, 06:22:34 pm »

I am waiting to get out of this stage.  My daughter is too young to be left alone to her own vices.  The awesome thing though is she is starting to take interest when I am working on anything so I cannot wait until she can help me with building.

when i make them take a break from fortnite they will do some stuff with me.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:06:08 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2019, 06:45:52 pm »
So the current stats say Average registrations per day:  15.57.  I’m not sure what the sample base for that is.  Is that for all time or some smaller time period?  Anyway at the very least new members are still coming on board.
There are usually 6-10 new member accounts created on a typical day.
- Some post right away.
- Some are lurkers that log in, but don't post.
- Some are "sleepers" that go to the trouble of creating an account but they never log in.   :dizzy:
- And then . . . there are the spammers.   :spam:   :bat   :police:

Pretty sure that 15.57 number is the average since BYOAC started using SMF software in 2002.
- 2014-2018 average is 8.7 per day.
- The unusually high number of accounts created around 2011-2013 partly reflects a time when spammers increased targeting of forums and before forums found ways to make it harder for them to create accounts.

You can see the annual/monthly/daily numeric breakdown at the bottom of the stats page.
- Click on the icon on the left to show the stats for that year's months or that month's days.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 07:10:44 pm by PL1 »

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2019, 09:11:44 pm »
I am done building for the sake of playing pacman again. I am with PBJ. I found love in restoring old games, but due to barcades and arcades popping up by me all the projects have dried up. So now I play pinball.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2019, 04:16:14 am »
When I first joined a few years ago, this forum was more active than it is now - and yet there also seemed to be a number of people with the feeling that the best days of this place were already gone, even back then.

In my own way, I'm stubborn, and won't take that hint.  This party's not over, I just got here and I'm not done.

It was more fun when there were more projects going on, absolutely.  I'd love to see that kind of traffic again.  I don't know if it will happen, I'm greatly cheered to see Ond shake the tree.  But even if it doesn't happen, I'm not going to give up or stop just because some other people did. 

Think about this:  Arcades died.  Most people left.  We're still here, and through creativity, sweat and pure enthusiasm, we make arcades live again.  Every member of this chosen community shares having survived that.  We're on the far side of that apocalypse already - and having been through that, I can't imagine that a slowdown in board traffic or fatigue of some of the old guard is going to be a reason to call it all off.

If Saint gets tired of hosting BYOAC, then maybe I'll admit this particular party's over.  But not till then.   :)