Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can someone recommend a monitor for Mame with HLSL settings?  (Read 1370 times)

LeedsFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
Can someone recommend a monitor for Mame with HLSL settings?
« on: February 13, 2019, 07:00:17 am »
I'm looking for a 32" LCD monitor for Mame with good HLSL settings.
Been searching around and getting a bit confused over specs and limitations.

32" is fixed for the cabinet it's going into. And I'd prefer a VA panel for the deeper blacks.
I'd also like a Freesync monitor for games that have refresh rates >60Hz.

But then I get confused by some monitors having Freesync that only works in the 40Hz-60Hz range. Like... what's the point of that? What am I not understanding?
And then I learn that display port only works at 60Hz max at 4K. Does HLSL work through DVI and HDMI for higher Hz?
Do I even need 4K for decent HLSL settings?

Please forgive my ignorance in HLSL.  :dizzy:

schmerzkaufen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
Re: Can someone recommend a monitor for Mame with HLSL settings?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 04:04:15 am »
I don't know if HLSL is up to date enough for 4K, I would assume it is but not sure (edit: apparently it is). It's a lot of pixels though so you better have a good GPU for that, like not a decade-old 1gb antique.
32" 4K VA FreeSync are available, LG 32UD59, Samsung U32J590UQ, BenQ EW3270U, etc, browse and you'll find more.

IMHO the ideal for you would be a WQHD (2560x1440) VA w/ FreeSync then, but they're a rare breed, the Q3279VWF is the only recommendable one but now EOL w/ low stock, otherwise there's the more expensive pc-gaming-oriented LG 32GK650F.
Most other VA choices at that resolution are curved.
Don't bother looking around forever for the ideal 1440p if the 4K are more easily available though.

Note: do not mistake the Q3279VWF (VA) with the Q3279VWF8 (IPS)
Note: the range, most emulated games in MAME are between 50Hz and 60Hz so a 40~60Hz range would be fitting, though there are some slightly above 60Hz that won't be handled by FreeSync...if you want to be sure all games are then pick one with a broader range, some FreeSycns are like 40~75.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 04:51:01 am by schmerzkaufen »