Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Questions about electric components  (Read 1371 times)

Professor Jones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2021, 02:24:19 pm
  • Ain't nothing like the real thing
Questions about electric components
« on: February 10, 2019, 06:00:00 am »
Hey,

I'm planning the recapping of my CRT (KV-21C5B), and I've just finished listing all the parts that I will replace. Three questions came up while I was doing this :

- 2 caps have the same value (33 uf, 160v) but have different sizes. One is 2cm high and has a 1 cm diameter, and the other one is more bulky : 3 cm high and 2,5 cm diameter. What gives ?

- I noticed that one inductor had some kind of sticky stuff on top of it (https://photos.app.goo.gl/asGtWtjHvapdiSEx5). Should I bother changing it ?

- One cap is listed as ceramic in the service manual but in the TV it's a poly one that's installed, and it looks deformed. Would it be a good idea to replace it with a ceramic one ?

Thanks !

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Questions about electric components
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 07:27:13 pm »
Hey,

I'm planning the recapping of my CRT (KV-21C5B), and I've just finished listing all the parts that I will replace. Three questions came up while I was doing this :

- 2 caps have the same value (33 uf, 160v) but have different sizes. One is 2cm high and has a 1 cm diameter, and the other one is more bulky : 3 cm high and 2,5 cm diameter. What gives ?

- I noticed that one inductor had some kind of sticky stuff on top of it (https://photos.app.goo.gl/asGtWtjHvapdiSEx5). Should I bother changing it ?

- One cap is listed as ceramic in the service manual but in the TV it's a poly one that's installed, and it looks deformed. Would it be a good idea to replace it with a ceramic one ?

Thanks !

In the same order as above:

- Nothing to worry about. A 33uF 160V electrolytic cap is going to work the same way regardless. Height or footprint issues might mean one fits better in a given spot, but it might have also been whatever the OEM could get cheap.

- The fact i need you to tell me exactly which inductor in that photo is the problem probably indicates there ins't really a problem :)

- I'd advise going with what works. You know the polymer cap does. Try a ceramic by all means, but it might have been a misprint. Old service manuals often contain one or two errors.

Professor Jones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2021, 02:24:19 pm
  • Ain't nothing like the real thing
Re: Questions about electric components
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 12:24:24 am »
Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it !  :)