Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rowe AMI R-84 Not Powering up to the right standby conditions.  (Read 2054 times)

bradley1023

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2019, 07:09:02 am
  • I am Working on A Cocktail Arcade Machine :)
Rowe AMI R-84 Not Powering up to the right standby conditions.
« on: January 27, 2019, 12:18:22 am »
Hello Jukebox enthusiasts :)

Been a while since I have been on the forums, not since completing my tabletop arcade project a few years ago! Which is still plays strong  ;D

I have recently obtained a Rowe AMI R-84 Jukebox, which when I got, was not powering up at all. After repairing the power supply, I was presented with a whole new set of faults. When the Jukebox powers up, the turntable and transfer motor lights on the mech control board light up and the turntable spins indefinitely.

I have the service manual with it, and I know when it first powers up the Magazine Motor and Detent coil lights are suppose to be on the mech control board, and the Magazine is suppose to rotate a full cycle allowing the computer to locate the home position through the optic sensor. This never happens!

It appears to me that the machine believes it's playing a record, the front panel shows number record 100 and the playing record light blinks. Wondering if anyone has ever run into a similar set of problems, to help me diagnose this, I have a feeling that the problem might end up lying in either the c.c.c or the mech control boards, does anyone have schematics for these?

Many thanks for any assistance in advance  :D

Brad

bradley1023

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2019, 07:09:02 am
  • I am Working on A Cocktail Arcade Machine :)
Re: Rowe AMI R-84 Not Powering up to the right standby conditions.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 07:09:02 am »
Nevermind everyone, I fixed it!  :D While doing some voltage testing I worked out that it was trying to drive the Transfer motor and it wasn't moving, It was getting extremely hot!! :timebomb: After dissembling and freeing up the slightly rusted bearing she went like new! Thanks anyway

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 01:21:50 pm »
I just repaired a transfer (a.k.a. gripper) motor on a CD100 jukebox last week. Same problem you had: the bearings were all gunked up and stuck. Had to disassemble the motor, clean the affected parts in mineral spirits, then re-oil and re-assemble the motor. Works great now.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 07:10:56 am »
Hi Bradley,

It is good to hear that you have sorted out the issue with the transfer motor, the clutch type drive can freeze up, just oil the oil wicks on the motor, in some cases the shaft springs can become broken and this also jams up the motor.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK