Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BYOCT 2 - cosplaying SEGA’s Crazy Taxi featuring Axel  (Read 7288 times)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
BYOCT 2 - cosplaying SEGA’s Crazy Taxi featuring Axel
« on: January 09, 2019, 07:22:17 am »
SEGA !

So you might remember this:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,99684.msg1053071.html#msg1053071

When I built the paper craft model I  wondered how well it would scale up. And what excuse would I need to make a 1/3 scale Crazy Taxi? Eventually I figured it would make for a pretty unique cosplay so that was all the excuse I needed! Voila! Axel driving his Crazy Taxi cosplay!

You can see the scale of the original in the first pic. The original is 1/24 scale. Luckily being PDF it scaled nicely. 800%.

http://dannygalaga.com/crazytaxi.html
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 04:55:22 am by danny_galaga »

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
Re: BYOCT 2
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 07:22:30 am »
paint and chassis

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 07:36:04 am by danny_galaga »

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 07:22:42 am »
Wheels and diff.

I had a big win with the wheels. It took me a while to figure out what to do. And then wandering through a dollar store I noticed disposable plastic picnic bowls. They were a silvery grey- i didnt even have to paint them!

Why a differential when you can't even see it? Because I can! Well, the back wheels had to be attached somehow so I thought I would have fun with it. Ford can keep their puny 9" diff. Sega rocks the 10!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 07:43:30 am by danny_galaga »

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 07:23:03 am »
The end product and final resting place.

We took Crazy Taxi to Supanova here in Brisbane, Australia. It was well received in the convention. A surprising number of people wanted a photo with me. I was pleased Sega's seminal masterpiece was still remembered, even by young 'uns. One kid asked to get a photo with me and I said sure but you wouldnt have been born when this came out. He said he used to play it with his dad. Which I thought was cool. But it also made me feel old :D Another guy said all it needed now was to rock out some Offspring and Bad Religion. I said, oh like this? And hit the iphone, connected to the bluetooth speaker! I also had one of those kids car horns in there that makes horn and braking sounds.

We also entered it into the competition. We did a little sketch involving Deadpool trying to catch Axels Crazy Taxi, we even had first person footage of the game on the big screen to mime to. The sketch fell totally flat however and we didnt win any prizes :(  This year we will take it to Comic-con. This time I'll enter it into the cosplay category, not the sketch category. I would very much like to talk about it this time :)

As you can see, it looks quite nice hanging up on the gamesroom wall.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 09:14:26 pm by danny_galaga »

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 05:43:34 pm »
Did it play all that crazy indie rock music too?
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 03:36:11 am »
Yeah I had bad religion and offspring on the phone playing through a Bluetooth speaker :)

And when I got bored of that I also had a fox network nascar soundtrack which had lots of cool cover songs about cars to play