Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cruis'n Exotica  (Read 2501 times)

Game_Dr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2018, 09:59:49 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Cruis'n Exotica
« on: September 27, 2018, 08:01:06 pm »
Midway Cruis'n Exotica bought by a friend with a bad monitor for his kid. I bought a kit to convert the RGB to HDMI that  also included mounts for a standard LED monitor into the current cabinet. I have been away from the Vending/Arcade technician for quite a while but the problem has eluded me but I have traced it back to the main board in the cabinet. The picture is washed out. I have checked contrast, brightness, hue, saturation and put the RGB to several other, known good monitors and they all present wit the same issue. The bad signal is coming from the board itself. Now bear in mind I might be a little rusty, the last game I worked on was an old Star Wars with an XY monitor that  had a bad flyback driver transistor. Yep, that old...

In any case I have checked the following:
Power: 12v, 5v, -5v all within .03 volts and no AC in the presence of DC while operating.
Chips: No pins folded under or broken
Board: No obvious signs of cracks or heat discolorations
Jamma: No issues with sunken pins or scraped traces. Nice and tight.
No wiring issues. Cut several wire ties on the power and other random spots looking for displaced insulation allowing conductors to transfer signal or create interference.
No missing heat sinks or scrape damage

Another problem is if you turn it off for more than an hour it comes up factory and you have to calibrate the steering, gas and brake pedals. I have gone over the board and can not find anything that even remotely resembles a backup battery.

The only thing that bothers me is that several of the EPROM's do not have their windows covered. While this should only affect the program I have considered that there may be CHROMA settings that have been corrupted on one of the chips but it still seems unlikely to me. But as I said, I have been out of the game (no pun intended) for quite a while.

If there is a Bally/Midway or Midway tech around I would like some insights. The cabinet is in great condition but if it is the board then it may need to be considered a lost cause.

I can handle SMT component replacement as long as the pin count does not get retarded.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And, It was kind of nice to be inside a game cabinet again. Did that for a lot of years in Springfield and Branson Missouri.