Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Swappable control panel for icade cabinet?  (Read 2639 times)

thebrokenjoystick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2018, 08:23:18 pm
  • The cake is a lie
    • My Vogon Poetry
Swappable control panel for icade cabinet?
« on: September 10, 2018, 05:41:49 pm »
This may be the wrong place to post this but I couldn't find a better one since most icade conversions seem to be with a Pi. Has anyone made a swappable control panel fro the icade cabinet? I' d like to have a swappable control panel that has trackball and spinner on it and just swap it in when I need those controls. This doesn't seem like a crazy thing to do, but I couldn't find where anyone else had done this. I was hoping to use someone else's measurements/plans. But if nobody has done it, I'll be sure and document the build and share. Thoughts?

ballboff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2020, 04:27:54 am
Re: Swappable control panel for icade cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 03:30:42 am »
There are several ways that you could do this.  One would be to buy two icade cabinets and you'd have 2 control panels.  They do detach, albeit via screws.  I use an ultimarch icade on mine, and I know there are some that have spinner capability.  This could get expensive, as you'd need a seperate keyboard controller for each controller.  All you'd need to do is detach the controller and remove the usb cable from the pi.

Another way would be to cut a rectangle out of the control panel, and mould your controllers out of separate pieces of wood that you slot in over the top of the icade control panel.  You'd disconnect it in the same way as above, but instead of spending more money on another icade, you'd be able to create your own bespoke panels.  Removed in the same way, disconnect usb and slide the controller out.