Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control panel top in two pieces for longer joystick  (Read 5921 times)

branded

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 01:41:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Control panel top in two pieces for longer joystick
« on: July 22, 2018, 06:31:25 am »
Hi,

We are in the process of designing our arcade cabinet and we want to keep our joysticks high. Instead of routing a recessed rectangle under the CP top board, do think it's a better/easier to do the below? We don't have much experience in woodworking.

Also, if you think this will work well, do you think there will be problems routing the t-molding slot? The top piece of the board will be melamine MDF and the bottom piece will be straight MDF. What glue should I use?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:52:47 am by branded »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Control panel top in two pieces for longer joystick
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 07:31:12 am »
It will work, But will look a little odd having the bottom board with T moulding and not the Top.
Better to route it out but if you want to do it that way maybe get some thicker T moulding that will cover both boards?

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 08:27:11 am »
I think it will be easier to route the opening from underneath - Your drawing shows you routing the opening on the thicker section on top anyway..
My other concern is gluing 16mm to 3mm material may warp once you glue it since they are different thicknesses.  I've had this happen with dissimilar panel thickness glueups.

If you decide to go that way - I'd normally just use standard wood glue (I use Titebond II)

Consider making a template and using a router with a pattern bit to create the recess and maintain a single panel.

My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 08:50:36 am »
Route it underneath.

Also, I know I am wasting my breath, but an arcade is a place where people go to play video games. An arcade cabinet is the actual thing you want to build.

branded

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 08:51:58 am »
It will work, But will look a little odd having the bottom board with T moulding and not the Top.
Better to route it out but if you want to do it that way maybe get some thicker T moulding that will cover both boards?

No, the t-molding will cover both pieces. I'll be routing the slot once I combine the two pieces.

branded

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 08:53:43 am »
Route it underneath.

Also, I know I am wasting my breath, but an arcade is a place where people go to play video games. An arcade cabinet is the actual thing you want to build.

Fixed!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 09:04:42 am »
Nice!

I don't know when people started calling an arcade cabinet an arcade, but it really bugs me. Maybe it is younger people who didn't grow up in an arcade. Maybe it is a cultural thing. I am not sure.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 11:42:12 am »
Another great mounting option to consider is the "Under mount (support blocks)" method mentioned in the FAQ.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160809113045/http://newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Joysticks

This method uses threaded inserts, machine screws, metal bars, and wood blocks.

It allows easy repeatable access to replace the joystick without having to destroy and remake the whole control panel.

Scott

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:39:22 pm
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 04:52:25 pm »
That is exactly how I did it on my first build, for the same reason.   It worked extremely well. 

branded

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 06:16:49 am »
Nice!

I don't know when people started calling an arcade cabinet an arcade, but it really bugs me. Maybe it is younger people who didn't grow up in an arcade. Maybe it is a cultural thing. I am not sure.

I'm 40 soon, so I definitely grew up going to arcades. I normally call it a cabinet, I just accidentally a word.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 06:21:09 am »
So are you building a full size cab or a bar top?

branded

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 08:31:28 am »
Full size, 4-player cabinet.

This design is slightly old, but close to what it'll look like. It won't be Predator themed though. I took a lot of inspiration from the Flynn's Over-Ambitious cabinet, but it's heavily modified.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 08:38:25 am »
Is there some kind of prize for the biggest control panel that I am not aware of? That thing is enormous.

branded

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 09:08:37 am »
LOL... nobody's told me that yet. Thanks for your honesty.

You made me remember that I never scaled the buttons properly (they were too small in that render, making the CP look much bigger). They were just placeholders for now and I hadn't yet determined the exact layout.

I've now scaled the buttons so the plungers are 32mm to give you a better idea of the scale of the CP. Also, the CP is deeper than others because I pushed the monitor back as far as i could. When we did a cardboard mockup, the screen felt too close. Here's a new image with the buttons scaled properly and a side view which shows that the cabinet it's not too deep.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 09:47:22 am »
I guess I am the wrong person to ask. I like the look of classic arcade cabinets. These new slim designs with widescreens and ginormous control panels don't do anything for me. They just look wrong.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 09:59:39 am »
With Players 3 and 4 off so far to the side and the monitor pushed all the way back can they see the side of the monitor closest to them without it being cut off so they have to move toward the other players in order to see the full screen or does it get blocked off like the side render posted ( and does your monitor have good viewing angles or do player 3 and 4 get a color shifted view ?  :dunno

branded

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 04:20:18 am »
The monitor I bought is a gaming monitor and viewing as Player 3 or 4 looks very passable. It's a large 32 inch monitor, so it wasn't easy to rectify this issue without making the cabinet look ugly.

Colours don't change apart from a slightly lower saturation when viewed by Player 3 or 4. I pushed the monitor back as far as possible to give a better viewing angle, created wider left/right bezels and cut into the side panels to allow viewing of the full screen. We created a mock-up and all is good.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:03 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 05:13:25 pm »
I use a 32 inch screen in my spinal tap cabinet, and it doesn't feel too big because most of the stuff on it is 4:3 anyways and doesn't use the full width. The glass over the screen is dark and you don't even notice it's a widescreen except during the boot up.