Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pac-Man 256 - formerly New cabinet  (Read 35286 times)

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: Pac-Man 256 - formerly New cabinet
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2018, 11:02:54 am »
I couldn't recommend the official power supply more: https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-universal-power-supply/
And if you power something through USB, use a powered USB hub like this one: https://thepihut.com/products/7-port-usb-hub-for-the-raspberry-pi-discontinued?variant=763067941

Till I used those I had so much issues. Now nothing.

I agree 100%, but I thought we were discussing power for the Jakks joystick game PBJ bought.
Everything I posted above pertains to that, and not to the RPi.
Sorry if I added to any confusion other than my own.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2018, 04:47:25 pm »
I give up on the joystick. Works great on one TV at 5.8V, on the other TV the voltage drops and it's glitchy. I'm returning it to Walmart and reconsidering my direction in life.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2018, 07:47:27 pm »
Just use batteries. You’re only gonna play it for a month anyway before it ends up under a pin. :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2018, 12:47:05 am »
No.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2018, 05:57:07 pm »
I got more choked up than I'd care to admit when I finally got this going...

Pi 3, comic book 4:3 theme, zero delay encoder = works

Disabled the onboard wifi and have about a 20 second boot time to menu.

Now I gotta rom hack pacman to start at level 255 and we're just about there..

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2018, 01:14:04 am »
Comic book theme is the best!

morton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2018, 09:42:10 am »
Lookin good man!

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2018, 01:17:36 pm »
I got more choked up than I'd care to admit when I finally got this going...

A lot of us here know that feeling.   :cheers:

Glad to see this moving along.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2018, 01:52:35 pm »
Pi 3
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2018, 07:13:07 pm »
So I recut a new blank control panel. I have 12.25" by 2.75" to work with. I'm gonna have to find some small buttons for coin / start.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2019, 06:13:39 pm
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2018, 11:03:17 pm »
Yeah, so, the Pi.  The interface on Emulation Station is fine on a console-like setup, but I don't like it on cabinets.  I've yet to find a theme that works well in 4:3 setups.  They take forever to boot up.  Unless you spend tons of time on customization, they've got lots of ugly loading screens.  Pre-made images have lots of stupid problems like misspelled words, thousands of crap games, and long lists of stuff like, "Pac-Man ROM Hack Europe ver 1.30 (Midway)" clunking up the screens.

You nailed it. I haven't seen a 4:3 image that is even remotely good which has led me down the path of trying to make my own... and it is driving me crazy.  I don't know how to load a custom theme (assuming I even knew how to make one).  I also don't really know the difference between each of the MAME emulators (that are sort of combined into one "arcade" folder).  I'm pretty sure there's no one size fits all setting and I'll have to individually configure each game to run with the proper emulator, map the proper buttons, etc.

I have figured out how to remove the boot screens as well as the text/code and raspberry pi logo on boot up.  That's about it though!  What I also don't like is that there is a second layer of "folders" in Emulation Station meaning, I can boot to a gamelist, which is great, and exiting a game brings me back to that gamelist, which is also great, but exiting again brings you up another level to console emulators (which I don't want/need) as well as the general Raspiconfig menu which I definitely don't want because things will get messed up.  The whole thing is clunky and was obviously made to play as many games as possible but there were absolutely no design/functionality considerations.

If you use MAME4All instead of one of the lr emulators then the control settings for MAME are entirely separate from those for the Emulationstation UI.

I'm currently building a Pi Zero based Bar stick, and I am setting it up as follows:

For MAME, configure controls as normal. Quit button is a separate button mounted on the cabinet.

For Retropie itself I am only configuring up, down and button A.
There is a second admin button round the back of the cabinet that I will map as 'start'.
All other buttons will be skipped during configuration.

When I quit a game in MAME, it will take me back to the game list. I won't be able to back out of the game list, because none of the buttons will be mapped to the B button.

When I want to shut down, I will press the 'start' button on the rear of the cab, and use the joystick and the A button to select shut down from the menu.

It is also possible to add a safe shutdown button to the Pi using the GPIO ports.
I'm not going to do it this way, because I want to keep the cabinet as modular as possible to make future upgrades easy.
The idea is that I can keep upgrading the Pi as and when new models are released. This will be a lot easier if everything is done through the encoders rather than modifying the Pi itself.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2018, 10:25:32 am »
That's an interesting approach.  Have you tried putting Emulation Station into kiosk mode?  It eliminates the ability to mess with the settings....

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2018, 11:17:46 am »
PBJ, I like that you're embracing the pi. I recently did a new build using the Candy240p theme. It's top notch and I really like it for ES themes.

Mixed feelings out there on the Pi, but once you learn it, it's kind of a breeze to mess with. Especially if you're good at backing things up before tinkering - which I am not, hence my new build lol.

Are you still running 240p? There is a thread that explains how to basically get pixel perfect emulation and how to deactivate 240p when you're in ES. Let me know and I'll see if I can find the link.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2018, 02:22:31 pm »
That's an interesting approach.  Have you tried putting Emulation Station into kiosk mode?  It eliminates the ability to mess with the settings....

Yes, kiosk mode is pretty useful if you have multiple emulators and young kids.

The reason I'm doing it this way is twofold:

1. I'll be bringing this machine to my job's holiday party, and will be used by young kids and people who have no experience with Retropie.
I used to bring a bartop to these parties, and learned the hard way that these people will manage to find button combinations I never knew existed.

The way I am setting it up is even more restrictive than kiosk mode in that it will be impossible to even leave the game list. You're either in the game list or you're in a game.
Hopefully that will make it sufficiently idiot proof and I won't have to babysit the whole evening.

2. My bar stick is going to have a USB port on the back so that I can plug in a keyboard for administrative tasks.
That will give me instant access to all settings etc without having to back out of kiosk mode.

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2018, 08:25:08 pm »
Oh man... Thought kiosk would lock you out of anything but game lists and games. Now I see that isn't the case... More stuff to learn I guess :banghead:

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2018, 08:36:32 pm »
Kiosk mode? Very interesting.
Why am I just now hearing of this?

Also PBJ: Where did you download that comic book theme?
 I cant find a link that works.
 :banghead:

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2018, 08:54:49 pm »
Kiosk mode? Very interesting.
Why am I just now hearing of this?

Also PBJ: Where did you download that comic book theme?
 I cant find a link that works.
 :banghead:

IT is on the rpi themes database so can be directly downloaded - Here is an ETA PRime video that goes through how to download and install it -

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2018, 08:58:49 pm »
Video not showing on my side of the world

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2018, 08:59:34 pm »
Video not showing on my side of the world

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2018, 09:13:38 pm »
thanks!

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2018, 09:38:08 pm »
Oh man... Thought kiosk would lock you out of anything but game lists and games. Now I see that isn't the case... More stuff to learn I guess :banghead:

That's almost correct. It does give you an extremely cut down menu though. I can't remember exactly, but I think it lets you adjust the volume and shut down.

This is absolutely fine for most uses, but I can guarantee that if I leave these options available at my work party, I'll spend all night readjusting the volume and having people come over asking why it shut down.

I also want to prevent users from even leaving the game list. There will only be one system on there (MAME) so there's no need to be able to go back to the system select screen.

Bear in mind that these parties have a very large number of people present - I think we have 70 people already confirmed this year and and by next week that's probably going to rise to close to 100.
The arcade machine is very popular, but it really does get a shakedown.

If there's one thing I learned from taking my old bartop to these parties, it's that someone will find a button combination that should not exist and does something really annoying, and do it over and over again.

The only time they won't be able do it is when you ask them to show you what they did so you can figure out how to fix it.

I usually burn 4-5 sd cards with my MAME image so that I can get the machine up and running again quickly if something goes badly wrong. I haven't had a corrupted card yet, but I like the peace of mind.

For regular home use or small parties, kiosk mode will work absolutely fine.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:41:15 pm by Jamesbeat »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2018, 09:45:12 pm »
Sounds like the problem I always had with Ultimarc products and the shift key. Only way to prevent it was to cut the wire on my jamma harness and wire player 1 start to another input, then remap mame and my front ends. It was astonishing what people could do in Windows by pounding buttons.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2018, 12:46:30 am »
Are you still running 240p? There is a thread that explains how to basically get pixel perfect emulation and how to deactivate 240p when you're in ES. Let me know and I'll see if I can find the link.

Definitely interested in reading more about that...

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2018, 06:55:45 pm »
Sounds like the problem I always had with Ultimarc products and the shift key. Only way to prevent it was to cut the wire on my jamma harness and wire player 1 start to another input, then remap mame and my front ends. It was astonishing what people could do in Windows by pounding buttons.

Interesting.  I think I've got something like that going on with my Felix cabinet that is wired with a J-Pac. It has become extremely unreliable at party's. 

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2018, 10:26:13 pm »

This is absolutely fine for most uses, but I can guarantee that if I leave these options available at my work party, I'll spend all night readjusting the volume and having people come over asking why it shut down.

You can always add a mausberry switch circuit to your RPi and start it up or shut it down with a switch, maybe located behind the cabinet?
That is if you are using a RPi.
If you are not writing anything to the RPi (high scores, etc), people say its ok to just cut the power to it to shut it down. (Also with a switch in the back).
And as far as volume control, you can add a audio pot in your amplifier input line and hide the pot too. Adjust it for the situation and forget about it.
That way you should be able to disable these functions in your retropie setup. But i havent fooled with Kiosk mode yet, so cant say this for sure.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2018, 04:24:49 pm »

You can always add a mausberry switch circuit to your RPi and start it up or shut it down with a switch, maybe located behind the cabinet?
That is if you are using a RPi.
If you are not writing anything to the RPi (high scores, etc), people say its ok to just cut the power to it to shut it down. (Also with a switch in the back).
And as far as volume control, you can add a audio pot in your amplifier input line and hide the pot too. Adjust it for the situation and forget about it.
That way you should be able to disable these functions in your retropie setup. But i havent fooled with Kiosk mode yet, so cant say this for sure.

You don't even need to buy that power circuit, you can just wire up a momentary switch to a couple of GPIO pins and set the software to shut it down.

I don't want to do it that way though, because I want to keep this cab as modular as possible, with everything controlled through the encoders.

Who knows what computer will end up inside it in five or ten years? I don't want anything specific to the Pi in order to keep it as flexible as possible for future modifications.

As for the volume control, that's going to be done via whatever TV the bar stick is plugged into.

I'll eventually install an amp and speakers, but I'm in a hurry to finish this project in time for the party.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2018, 05:55:52 pm »
Shutting it down like you speak of doesnt actually turn the power off to the RPi like the mausberry does. But to each his own.
Looks like you have a plan, good luck getting it done before your party.

Now PBJ: hows that pacman coming along?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #147 on: December 07, 2018, 01:59:37 pm »
If you go here and get the download, you drop in 2 files into the MAME rom, and bam you're starting on level 255.

https://www.highscoresaves.com/pacman-level-255-with-free-play-option.html

Once I get that going on the Pi, it's a matter of stripping out ROMs and crap I don't want. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #148 on: December 08, 2018, 05:20:29 pm »
Throws up a CRC error that clears and boots on its  own after 5 seconds.... We're in the final stages.

:cheers:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #149 on: December 26, 2018, 07:02:49 pm »
Accidentally unmap UI Cancel in Mame?  There is no solution besides starting over and reflashing your SD card. Well, there's probably a solution but you'll never find it in the breathtakingly unhelpful retropie forums.  I'm actually astounded at what I was reading.

Oh well. Here we go again...

Also - drilled a new control panel.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: December 26, 2018, 07:40:01 pm »
Accidentally unmap UI Cancel in Mame?  There is no solution besides starting over and reflashing your SD card. Well, there's probably a solution but you'll never find it in the breathtakingly unhelpful retropie forums.  I'm actually astounded at what I was reading.

Oh well. Here we go again...

Also - drilled a new control panel.

IF you go back into the tab menu again and reset it there -- it takes doing it twice in order to set it since the first time when you clear it it also takes the escape key press as the return but that clears the setting then going back in and pressing escape again will reset it - then stay on that line and press enter again and you'll get back in to set another button if that was what you are trying to do.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #151 on: December 26, 2018, 10:25:07 pm »
I meant I unmapped Tab. What can I say, it was an angry post.   :lol

Got mame going again but it wouldn't display any roms unless I jumped to the command line and used sudo mame.

So, I reflashed. On hour 2 of my life gone tonight. And counting.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2019, 09:01:50 pm »
I was embarrassed at how long this sat unplayable, so wrapped some stuff up tonight. Despite some moments of weakness where I bid lots of money on piles of plug and play joysticks, I never won an auction and went back to a Pi.

Joystick is  some Sanwa I bought on this forum. Countersunk to bottom, those weird wood insert nut things holding it. Zero delay encoder. Added 2 10mm buttons - insert coin and  player 1 start. Pressed together is exit (another thing I hate but no space on this panel for more). Arcade buttons are mirrored off each other.

Needs paint, art, finishing, but it's plug and playable now.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2019, 10:04:08 pm »
Nice to see this is still happening Jim, are you painting it black or yellow?  In some long dim memory I seem to recall you're not fan of yellow.....

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2019, 08:14:00 am »
Can you paint it MsPac blue, but put pacman on the side and call it pacma'am ?

If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #155 on: April 21, 2019, 05:12:22 pm »
Got tired of looking at this. Threw a coat of equipment yellow on it.

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2019, 10:37:08 am »
PBJ.... Looking good!

Here is the link to the 240p directions. There is a TV service command or something like that which allows 240p emulation but 480 on the ES menus.

http://filthypants.blogspot.com/2017/03/raspberry-pi-240p-composite-output.html?m=1

Sorry for delay. Hope it helps.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2019, 05:10:09 pm »
Time to button this thing up.  Printed out a stencil, cut it up, taped it down, and ripped off opt2nots idea of using pennies as weights.

For the other side, I’ll weigh it down more in some areas, but paper towels and lighter fluid cleaned up a lot of the overspray.  Very pleased with how this came out.

:cheers:

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #158 on: May 11, 2019, 05:34:12 pm »
Time to go tag some utility boxes and concrete barriers! :cheers:
%Bartop

pbj