Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JVL Vortex - trying to install iTouch11 - help  (Read 9874 times)

dukefonner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2018, 08:33:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
JVL Vortex - trying to install iTouch11 - help
« on: March 09, 2018, 04:01:28 pm »
I have a JVL Vortex machine that's been running iTouch9 Plus with no problems. I'm now trying to install iTouch11 to it. Screenshot attached.

- When I turn on the machine with the iTouch11 software in the CD drive, the machine recognizes the software.
- However, I get an error screen right after it detects the new software and prompts me to do the factory reset via the set-up button.
- Once I press the setup button, an error screen comes up that says "Factor Reset Failed". Then below that error, there's a text box that says "creating partitions"...'"failed [Code 256]"
- I put a new 512mb Compact Flash card into the machine, same issue occurs
- Two of the IO board lights are lit up. One is yellow the other is red. What do those lights mean?
- See attached screenshot of the error screen

Any ideas on what's wrong? Thank you!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:14:24 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: JVL Vortex - trying to install iTouch11 - help
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 05:02:04 pm »
try another Cd rom drive. I know it's wierd, but the CD's they used for these software updates are absolute trash and don't read worth a damn.

failing that, if you insert the CD into a windows computer, you can run a utility on the disk that will create a USB installation drive out of the disk. then, it's just a matter of finding a usb port on the JVL computer and booting it.

dukefonner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 05:26:53 pm »
Got it. Thank you. I've tried 3 different drives, so I'll go the USB route.

I have the iTouch 11 CD in a windows machine now and I'm looking at the contents of the CD. What's the name of the utility on the disk that will create a USB installation? I can't seem to locate it.

dukefonner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:36:17 pm »
try another Cd rom drive. I know it's wierd, but the CD's they used for these software updates are absolute trash and don't read worth a damn.

failing that, if you insert the CD into a windows computer, you can run a utility on the disk that will create a USB installation drive out of the disk. then, it's just a matter of finding a usb port on the JVL computer and booting it.

Ok, I'm getting a new error now. I connected the CD ROM drive to Windows computer and successfully copied the files from the iTouch11 CD to a USB drive. I then plugged the USB drive into the Vortex and powered it up. When the Vortex boots up I get a "Disk Boot Failure" error at the very start and I can't get past the error. See screenshot attached. Any ideas on what's going on? Thank you in advance.

orizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2020, 07:20:41 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 08:23:22 am »
These take cf cards right? if you can get your cf card out I'll clone one of mine and send you an image you can write

dukefonner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 11:33:50 am »
These take cf cards right? if you can get your cf card out I'll clone one of mine and send you an image you can write

Thank you for the offer. That would be great. Yes, the Vortex takes CF cards. I was told to use a 512 mb CF card, so I have a new SanDisk 512 mb card in the machine now. And yes, I can remove that CF card, no problem.

I'm pretty new to this stuff, so can you walk me this part that you mentioned... "I'll clone one of mine and send you an image you can write"... I'm not sure what that means or what I can do to help. Should I mail you the new CF card that I have and you'll put the iTouch11 software on there and send it back to me? Please advise. Thanks again!

orizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2020, 07:20:41 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 06:25:33 pm »
As long as your computer has a CF card reader, you can write the image using USB Image Tool for Windows. 

Unfortunately, I only have an iTouch 10 machine (not 11 like I had thought), but I will upload that for you to try.  Hopefully you will have better luck upgrading from a more recent version.  I will PM you the link when it's finished.

dukefonner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 07:40:28 pm »
As long as your computer has a CF card reader, you can write the image using USB Image Tool for Windows. 

Unfortunately, I only have an iTouch 10 machine (not 11 like I had thought), but I will upload that for you to try.  Hopefully you will have better luck upgrading from a more recent version.  I will PM you the link when it's finished.

Thank you for the details and your help. My windows laptop does not have a CF reader, but I can buy a 3rd party one to use for this. For the reader, it needs to be able to 'write' as well, correct? The issue that I see that the iTouch 'key' that I have to run the Vortex software is for iTouch11 (not 10). Please go ahead send me the image and I can check eBay to see if I can get a iTouch10 software key somehow.

Also, if anyone else happens to have iTouch11 and can send me the image of it, please let me know. Much appreciated!

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:11:25 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 12:13:00 am »
I could install IT11 on my retro, (it doesnt ask for a key during install) I suppose if you wrote the image it would work. But you need to follow Orizzle's info on how to write the image via usb image tool. I would upload a linux .img file some hosting site.

dukefonner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 12:42:39 pm »
I could install IT11 on my retro, (it doesnt ask for a key during install) I suppose if you wrote the image it would work. But you need to follow Orizzle's info on how to write the image via usb image tool. I would upload a linux .img file some hosting site.

Mahkeymike, thank you. Let's try it. Can you send me the iTouch11 linux .img file? 

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 06:27:54 pm »
I am not even getting as far as you with my itouch11.iso Its gets aa little over 50% loading and just reboot loops.

dukefonner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 06:21:17 pm »
Update on my situation...I got my Vortex running with iTouch11! The issue was my new CF card was 512 MB and the software wouldn't load on that card as there wasn't enough room. When I looked at the 512 MB card using my flash reader, it actually showed 488 MB. The iTouch11 software is around 508 MB. When I switched it out to a 1 Gig CF card, the software loaded from the disc using a CD drive. w/no issues. Thanks again to everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:33:45 pm by dukefonner »

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2020, 12:30:46 pm
  • Terminus clone build in progress.
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 11:51:00 am »
Could anyone point me to where I can get itouch 11 and a key? My Retro is running itouch 9 and I would love to update it!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:14:24 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 12:53:46 pm »
Thank you!

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 05:02:36 pm »
Did you buy that link lilshawn posted? Only asking because that listing doesnt include a CF card so you will need to install the disc with a externally powered usb cd/dvd drive. And the software is finicky. Also, i wont bother looking for an CF card image for you anymore.

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 03:07:55 pm »
No, I did not.