Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So I have this 500G hard drive with artwork...  (Read 53390 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Re: So I have this 500G hard drive with artwork...
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2018, 06:19:53 pm »
Please re-read my post carefully. Here, I’ve bolded the key parts for easier comprehension:

I understand this is different because it is a physical drive that has to be mailed around, and thus it does make sense to prioritize certain community members first. However,  I don't see anything inherently wrong with asking "Can I have some of that free cake, too?"

See, I can play this snarky, sarcastic game too! But, it doesn't seem particularly productive to the discussion. :P

It's true that you never said we shouldn't share with newly joined members, and after rereading your first comment again, I can see that you did imply that the new members should get access eventually.

However, you did make it clear that you adamantly disapprove of newly joined members simply asking to have it shared with them by describing the act as "mooching", "---smurfy---", and being a "leech". Given your aversion to new members even asking, I extrapolated that you did not want to share with them at all. I don't think this assumption was a complete non sequitur.

"Look at all these moochers asking for some of our pancakes. How ---smurfy--- is that."
"Of course we should share our pancakes with them! I never said we shouldn't. Why would you think I don't want to share with them?"
I can be as snarky as I damn well please. You mimicking that doesn't change ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. I have little patience for people, especially millennial's, who feel entitled to receiving things without putting in a contribution. I don't know if you (or these fly-by members that you're so quick to defend) are actually a millennial, but you sure seem like one.

Also, do you really think labeling me or things I say as elitist is an insult? Haaaa! That's a badge I carry, son, it's comes with being an artist with having a high-level of standards. One of those standards finds it annoying that some passer-by's can randomly join this site to receive free stuff without contributing anything to the community.

PL3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 24, 2018, 03:04:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2018, 07:17:07 pm »
I just wants the free artz!

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:44:25 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2018, 07:18:33 pm »
I thought we were talking about pancakes.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2018, 07:53:50 pm »
I thought we were talking about pancakes.

Now I'm hungry. Where are the free pancakes?
Check out my completed projects!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2018, 08:02:32 pm »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2018, 08:03:15 pm »
Can you send post a screen shout of the pancakes menu or file names?

What size is the physical drive? I can Mail to Thailand. 

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2018, 08:03:36 pm »
I'm not an elitist and not into making a "walled garden" out of this resource, for the exclusive pleasure of a select few.

BUT

If we do a torrent, which really is the best way, then more is better. But it has to be quality "more", not just fly-by-nighters who arrive, suck down all the data then p!ss off. People need to keep *seeding* the thing so that as many people as possible can get a bite of the cherry, a fair shake, etc.

So, by that standard alone, I would say that to participate in the torrent you must pass by a certain bar or standard, which would exclude members who haven't participated in the forum and who may be assumed to have just joined to get free stuff, then to disappear and never be seen again. If a regular member doesn't re-seed then we can at least name-and-shame them into complying. We have no such leverage on fly-by-nighters.

That's it, I'm off to install Groovymame on my vertical cab and go grab some metal control panels I'm getting made for me at a metal shop.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2018, 08:09:59 pm »
Can you send post a screen shout of the pancakes menu or file names?

What size is the physical drive? I can Mail to Thailand.

I haven't seen it myself, been assuming about the size of a 3.5" HDD in a case, around the size of a book.

I'd be happy to host the torrent initially from here if the drive comes to me, or just use it to join the torrent. Doing a combo of starting a torrent and continuing to mail the drive about might be the way to go, and each person that gets the drive can join the torrent at 100% and seed immediately.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 10:48:49 am
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2018, 08:51:25 pm »
You seem to be a little upset over there. I think you need to calm down a bit. Take a couple deep breaths. Eat some pancakes.

I can be as snarky as I damn well please.

I never said you couldn't. I was just demonstrating how childish and immature it is. :)

I have little patience for people, especially millennial's, who feel entitled to receiving things without putting in a contribution.

I never said anyone was entitled to anything; Just that sharing is nice. If you are going to build straw men, try not to be so cliche about it.

I don't know if you (or these fly-by members that you're so quick to defend) are actually a millennial, but you sure seem like one.

I'm not. Though, I am not sure what generation I or anyone else was born in has to do with anything.

Also, do you really think labeling me or things I say as elitist is an insult? Haaaa! That's a badge I carry, son, it's comes with being an artist with having a high-level of standards.

Well, pop, it sounds like you are a ton of fun at parties. "Have you met Bob? You'll love him. He's very elitist." Plenty of people have a high-level of standards without being egotistical. But, you hold on to that badge if it's really that important to your self image.

One of those standards finds it annoying that some passer-by's can randomly join this site to receive free stuff without contributing anything to the community.

You seem to have major qualms with the idea of people freely giving to each other without expecting something in return. You are "annoyed" by it. You seem to expect that everyone fulfill your completely subjective and abstract standards before they should be given anything by anyone.

I guess the only comprehensible point you are making is you don't like freeloaders and moochers. You seem to qualify this as any receiving participate in the freely shared resources of a community. But, I mean, there are probably thousands of people every day who read though these forums and "mooch" information, cabinet plans, ideas, etc. for free without contributing anything back. In fact, oh my god, there are 36 guests mooching off the main forum right now! They didn't even register an account! Maybe you would suggest the forums be closed to unregistered members? Maybe some of the subforums should be locked until users prove themselves productive enough?

Imagine if Wikipedia was run this way. "Sorry, you have read 100 pages but you have only written 10. You must write 10 more pages or pay $4.99 before you can continue."

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:57:47 pm by yo1dog »

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2018, 09:04:00 pm »
Opt2not is fun at parties. He just doesn't want people trying to grab his pancakes until he is done with them. Especially people who wandered into the pancake house because there was a free pancakes sign in the window.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2018, 09:28:30 pm »
Oh multi-quotes.   ::)

You seem to be a little upset over there. I think you need to calm down a bit. Take a couple deep breaths. Eat some pancakes.
LOL my disposition is none of your business, and contribution is all part of the sharing you're so concerned about. If you're not contributing, you're not helping the community, plain and simple.

Well, pop, it sounds like you are a ton of fun at parties. "Have you met Bob? You'll love him. He's very elitist." Plenty of people have a high-level of standards without being egotistical. But, you hold on to that badge if it's really that important to your self image.
Hehe, ask the guys here who's met me in person, they can tell you I am indeed awesome at parties. You on the other hand sound social challenged, if that's how you introduce people.  Who would actually introduce someone like that?? That's just weird, man. 

You seem to have major qualms with the idea of people freely giving to each other without expecting something in return. You are "annoyed" by it. You seem to expect that everyone fulfill your completely subjective and abstract standards before they should be given anything by anyone.
Subjective and abstract standards... and yet you're doing the same?  Pot meet kettle.

I guess the only comprehensible point you are making is you don't like freeloaders and moochers. You seem to qualify this as any receiving participate in the freely shared resources of a community. But, I mean, there are probably thousands of people every day who read though these forums and "mooch" information, cabinet plans, ideas, etc. for free without contributing anything back. In fact, oh my god, there are 36 guests mooching off the main forum right now! They didn't even register an account! Maybe you would suggest the forums be closed to unregistered members? Maybe some of the subforums should be locked until users prove themselves productive enough?

Imagine if Wikipedia was run this way. "Sorry, you have read 100 pages but you have only written 10. You must write 10 more pages or pay $4.99 before you can continue."
But are those 36 guests registering an account for the sheer intention of receiving an archive of rare data that can easily be flipped into a business venture?

Keep playing that White Knight card there, buddy. As far as I'm concerned, a 9-year member with 250 posts is no different than a 2 day member with 1 post.

FALSE

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 08:13:59 pm
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2018, 09:35:40 pm »
Keep playing that White Knight card there, buddy. As far as I'm concerned, a 9-year member with 250 posts is no different than a 2 day member with 1 post.

Well that answers my question. I'll see myself out....
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:38:10 pm by FALSE »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2018, 10:03:59 pm »
Look, we’re veering away from my main point with this pointless argument.

It’s not about people not having access to this, it’s about giving first access to the long standing members who have spent hours on this site, helping people, developing relationships and overall contributing to this hobby.

For the record, an elitist by definition is someone who believes that a society or system should be led by an elite. Sending this to Mal first was the right call, and however he wants to handle this you can be sure it’ll be in the best interest for the site and hobby. So I’m happy there.

As for further debate of personality clashes, I’d rather do that in another thread or in person. yo1dog, feel free to come to Zapcon and discuss this in person over a bottle of bourbon with me. You will see I’m not such a bad person, and my “ego” stems from life lessons, confidence and self-awareness.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2018, 10:21:47 pm »
I'll avoid using "multi-quotes" if you don't like them.

I'm sure you are a fine guy (no sarcasm). I've never met you so I wouldn't know. I've just never met anyone I've liked who described themselves as an elitist. "Snob" is a synonym and what I think of when I hear the word. It's very probable we have different interpretations of the word. Hence why my fictional introduction of Bob sounded "socially challenged". Replace "elitist" with "snob" and that introduction doesn't make sense. Replace it  with "funny" or "nice" and it sounds pretty standard.

I haven't set any standards that I believe members should be held by to dictate their worthiness to be shared with. I'm not sure how you think I being hypocritical.

Regarding the 36 guests, the question I was trying to frame was: What is the difference between the 3-4 newly created members "mooching" artwork on this topic and those 36 guests who are "mooching" other resources from this forum? What's the difference between someone's first post being "Can you help me find this artwork?" and "Can you help me find a good CRT to buy?" or "Can you help me with my control panel build?"? When a guest reads through a detailed tutorial that took the author hours to write and put together, are they not "mooching" without contributing? I am honestly curious about your distinctions.

I am not sure what "White Knight card" I am playing or what that refers to. I've simply stated that I think it's OK to share freely with the community if you want to and that I disagree with your notion of only sharing with those who you have deemed have contributed enough. If you don't want to give to a particular member, I absolutely understand that. I don't understand why you would be apposed to other people giving to that member.

See, your last sentence comes off pretty egotistical. Clearly, I have not met your standards of a contributing member and am undeserving. But, why should I or anyone else care about your opinion of status? Out of curiosity, if you owned the hard drive, how many years and posts would you require before sharing with someone?

Edit:  Just saw your reply. I agree. I'll buy the bourbon! ;)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 10:23:28 pm by yo1dog »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2018, 10:34:02 pm »
PBJ, you need to post the Now Kiss meme
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

PL3

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2018, 10:45:53 pm »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2018, 03:30:01 am »
Lol, this is fun.

Makes me want to go into a room full of people and yell "FREE MONEY" while tossing a wad of $1 bills into the middle, just so I can stand back and watch so-called civilised people tear and scratch at each other while screaming "Mine! Mine!" over spare change. That'd be worth the $50 or so it would cost  :laugh2:

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2018, 04:11:49 am »
"To Alcohol! The cause of and the solution to all of life's problems."
-Homer J. Simpson

Once again bourbon saves the day.

I am glad you guys hugged it out. This really went off the rails.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2018, 04:34:41 am »
Bringing things that are aren't quite free, guess how much these control panel blanks (1 set = 2 pieces, top and bottom) + the 4 Z brackets for my planned galaga/MsPac style cocktail cabinet cost me? I just picked them up from the metal shop.

The answer is about $12 for the lot.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2018, 08:24:33 am »
Bringing things that are aren't quite free, guess how much these control panel blanks (1 set = 2 pieces, top and bottom) + the 4 Z brackets for my planned galaga/MsPac style cocktail cabinet cost me? I just picked them up from the metal shop.

The answer is about $12 for the lot.

I loved getting stuff don cheep when I was living over seas. I used to be able to get back lite Marquees printer for like $12 in Nepal. They looked good to.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2018, 08:33:07 am »
Yeah. They were probably made by children forced into labor against their will. I would feel really good about that too. ::)

Nepal is notorious for forcing kids into labor with terrible working conditions. My company looked into purchasing some products from a factory in Nepal. The "factory" had electricity for 8 hours a day and children worked with power saws in a room with a dirt floor. We took a hard pass on that one.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2018, 12:10:32 pm »
Fortunately Thailand is a lot different to Nepal. No special evidence of kids forced to work here.

Getting these done involves chatting with them a bit first so they get to know me. They'll want to know where I'm from, how many wives I've got, where they are, how long I've been in Thailand, how many kids, and to have a discussion about the weather in detail before getting down to talking about my project and the job at hand.

I just wonder how they can earn enough to even share a bottle of local rice whiskey at the end of the day.

Here's one of the guys at work on my panels:

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:15:38 pm by Zebidee »

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2018, 01:32:52 pm »
best thing you can do with anything like this is throw it on archive.org, post a link and be done with it.  regardless of if the stuff is elsewhere and in other collections, it's an interesting piece of history in it's own right at this point.

thought we'd kinda got to the stage where most people had realised that the need to keep things safe and accessible for future generations is more important than 'who has earned the right to access whatever'

look at the principals the scene around you are built upon

take a leaf out of Jason Scott's book
https://twitter.com/textfiles

he's the archive.org guy who deals with emulation related preservation for them, see the enthusiasm he has for this kind of thing.

PL3

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2018, 02:46:38 pm »
take a leaf out of Jason Scott's book

So much wizdom from red power ranger!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2018, 07:04:00 pm »
thought we'd kinda got to the stage where most people had realised that the need to keep things safe and accessible for future generations is more important than 'who has earned the right to access whatever'

Damn right. Even so, don't be naive and think that mere humans are past being petty and selfish, however disappointing it is when it comes out :D  I am still an optimist and an idealist, but the older and wiser I get the more disillusioned I become. You've got to laugh about it sometimes otherwise it'll eat you up and you lose the faith.

I also think archive.org would be a good place for the drive to finish it's journey. However, before it gets there, let's start a torrent with it so that we can begin archiving it right now on our hard drives.

Centralised repositories are great until they disappear, go broke, burn down, close etc. It has happened time and time again to arcade gaming (eg that Arcade Art site) to ancient history (eg Great Library of Alexandria). Initially, the drive should go to a few of us able to seed the torrent until it gets going. Then let everyone in, more the merrier for all of us. The best arcade archives are distributed about the planet on our hard drives and in the cloud.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2018, 07:12:53 pm »
Jesus H Christ, you guys are daft.

I wasn't arguing 'who has the right to access' what.  I was arguing the people who have been around here for a long time, should have first dibs.

Malenko is the right man to have this sent to first. He's been around here for a long time, has been contributing, helping out people and continues to push the boundaries.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2018, 07:22:00 pm »
When a threads  get long people skim and a lot of who said what and what they meant is lost.

The guy in Nepal who did my printing was like 40.. But your right that chiled laber is a problem there.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:35:51 pm by Locke141 »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2018, 09:30:47 pm »
Soooooo the drive showed up, you kids are gonna be disappointed with the contents. Its mostly raw scans, and if you exclude the emumovies folder of preview vids, its about 320GBs.

I have about 3 or 4 spare drives that I can dupe this drive to. I'll make sure the drives I have work and then PM a few ppl for addresses.  If *anyone* PMs me asking for a copy before I'm ready you'll be on the "do not send to list"

Ideally I'd like to send 1 to each time zone at minimum. I will be sending them to the more.... tenured members, it just seem to be more likely to actually get the drives passed along and not disappear into the ether. I'll also whip together a torrent, it just seems the most efficient way to get the files out to everyone (especially without the risk of it vanishing)

If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2018, 09:58:00 pm »
The guy in Nepal who did my printing was like 40.. But your right that chiled laber is a problem there.

You contributed to the economy so all good.

Malenko is wise.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2018, 02:30:44 pm »
so here are some samples, just so people know what they are getting.

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2018, 03:04:12 pm »
These files have been available for a LONG TIME. I PMd the OP confirming this:

Re: 500gb art HDD is likely...
« Sent to: mrclean on: February 18, 2018, 11:12:38 pm »

That is exactly what I have. I too was one of the original participants when we sent that original drive around the world duplicating it. :cheers:
I recall at the time we were all trying to keep it out of the public domain. Not for selfish reasons, but to give someone a chance to host the files online and use a pay-per-download or some other monitization in order to cover the hosting fees. I guess that didn't go as planned.

here is proof of that very sample file you posted which many people have had access for years:

actual file - https://www.sendspace.com/file/m5p0pr

Unless what you have on that HDD is different... I know many of the Bally/Pac/Cinematronics stuff was removed due to copyright issues. I always wanted a backup of the entire site on an external HDD, I'm just not in the printing business & most placed like mamemarquees / gameongraphix, rich @ thisoldgame, escapepod etc etc etc have had these files for years, and most of which they have cleaned / revectorized / retraced most of the available files. It's still neat to go through and see all the artwork though. It's now very affordable to place these on an SD card or two at this point for 20-30$ it's crazy you can have them on a keychain, that wasn't the case when these files were first available.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:10:06 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2018, 04:49:52 pm »
These files have been available for a LONG TIME.

Yeah I was supposed to be in on the first go round , never happened. That was like.....11 years ago?

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2018, 11:31:37 am »
Its mostly raw scans.

Malenko, Are there any Defender CPO scans in there (or, even better, a vector)? I am currently working on vectorizing it to use on my cab. The vectorized ones on vectorlib are not very accurate and the "scans"/rasters available from Arcade Artwork seem to be cleaned up in a way that makes then not look right. Maybe? Not sure. Regardless, another scan would be great to compare to!

I attached the progress I have made so far.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2018, 01:27:20 pm »
this

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2018, 02:10:12 pm »
Yea! Is there a higher res version in there?

I've made some more progress. Basically done, but I would love to be able to check it for more accuracy.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2018, 03:49:29 pm »
theres a multi layer 60 GB PSD , but heres an exported 4MB JPG at minimum compression:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YfRHBCb8OtUgATsAkt2WFx0WLEVFZXFC

you got a couple days till I delete the image :)

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2018, 05:05:20 pm »
you got a couple days till I delete the image :)

Awesome opossum. Downloaded. Thanks! this is perfect.

theres a multi layer 60 GB PSD

:o What on earth would make it 60GB? Even saved as a BMP it's only 50MB. I'm curious what's in those layers...

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2018, 06:22:28 pm »
typo, its 60MB :p

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2018, 07:53:41 pm »
That makes a lot more sense haha :P

sellsellsell2000

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:26 pm
  • Do what you love!
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2018, 02:28:50 pm »
I don't believe there are anything current game artwork on that drive. Even so, you still need time and effort to modify it for personal needs.  :dizzy: