Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch Maxx - where is the BIOS battery?  (Read 4754 times)

orizzle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2020, 07:20:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Megatouch Maxx - where is the BIOS battery?
« on: September 23, 2017, 06:01:24 pm »
Have a machine I'm trying to fix with the "no date/time set, press F1 to continue error." Want to swap out the CMOS battery and set the date/time.  Here is the motherboard.  Where the hell is the battery?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Megatouch Maxx - where is the BIOS battery?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 06:26:24 pm »

bios information is stored in the realtime clock chip (RTC) it has a non-replaceable (replaceable if you are brave/skilled/stupid enough) epoxied battery inside.

new chips used to be available from maxim (DS12B887) but i don't know where besides e-bay you'd find one nowadays.

the chip number to search for is "12B887" manufactures will put all kinds of extra letters and whatnots all around it... such as your oden brand (OEC12B887A)

if you are brave enough, you can chop the outside off and remove the battery from the "core" of the chip and solder a 2032 or something to the leads. a word of caution, one end contains the battery...the other an oscillating crystal for the clock... if you damage the crystal, it will be toast. best to try and source a replacement first... then hack.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:10:40 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 06:41:07 pm »
I might have some of those on old boards. No idea if they are still good though. I looked up the mod, and it looks pretty easy with a dremel. If they are socketed i could do the mod and send it to you. Or you could just buy the chip on ebay for $10-$20 it looks like

orizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2020, 07:20:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 07:44:29 am »
Thanks for the valuable info. I'll stick this in the "not worth fixing" bin