Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CNC Design input needed!  (Read 6959 times)

gameroomsolutions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
CNC Design input needed!
« on: August 15, 2015, 12:26:43 pm »
Hi Guys,

I am finishing up a bartop kit.  I really tried to include everything I have learned/wanted over the last 10 years or so building these things.  We just got the first prototype put together yesterday and I think we are really close.  Wanted to hit some expertise here to give me some input on design changes or additional offerings that would make the kit more complete.

My Main Goals:
  • No painting and/or easy to apply graphics
  • No power tools needed
  • Easy to assemble via cam lock system
  • Accommodate a 22" widescreen monitor
  • Includes all plexiglass pre-cut
  • Includes photoshop files so it is easy to design your own graphics
  • pocketed so under mounting sanwa joysticks are high enough on control panel
  • No hidden huge shipping costs
  • Very reasonable overall cost
  • Rear door opens on hinge for easy access
  • Room for micro ATX motherboard and power supply for HyperSpin type setups (most people will probably opt for Rpi2 with Emulationstation)
Side note: The prototype does not have the tmolding slots, but the finished product will....

You can see the full description here http://gameroomsolutions.com/shop/bartop-arcade-kit-deluxe/

Attached are some pictures of the prototype and here are the few changes left to make (unless you guys give me a few others that make sense)

We need to move the monitor back and change the angle, the drill bit went too deep on a few spots, one cam lock rod was in the incorrect place, and we are going to pre-drill joystick holes through both the control panel wood and plex for even easier assemble.  The goal is you will not need any power tools, just a simple phillips screwdriver and 15 min!
Additional changes:  We are going to offer a 1 or 2 player control panel board (with accompanying plexi match).  The 2 player control panel is as listed.  We are working on a new design for the 1 player that will have 1 player controls (like you see on the two player board), but also support a 2″ trackball where the two player is located in the product pictures.  The 1 player with trackball option will be available within two weeks of the 2 player launch.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:32:28 pm by gameroomsolutions »

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 04:16:28 pm
Re: CNC Design input needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 12:51:15 pm »
My only thoughts are for your one player layout you might consider a 2nd joystick option, I of course could be in the minority, but if I can't play Robotron on a cab, I don't really have a use for it. :-)  All the best with your new design, wish you nothing but the best.

gameroomsolutions

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 12:52:47 pm »
Now that is a thought!  Hmm...  I feel guys would like the 2" trackball option instead on the 1 player so they can play golden tee type games in their home bar.  Thanks for the feedback!

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 09:10:21 pm
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 03:02:39 pm »
Nice work, looks really well made. I like the IKEA "like" cam lock construction as I am not a fan of the wooden batten method. Cam locks and or dowels always look clean and commercial looking.

I think your pre-sale price of $199 is a fantastic price point considering all the extras (free shipping/t mold slot/plexi/etc...).

One question, are you including a CD with the photoshop files with the Bartop or will these be downloadable files off your website?

Good luck :cheers:

gameroomsolutions

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 03:07:20 pm »
Funny you ask...  I am working on them now and plan to offer that as a download upon purchase.  It will easier to update/etc as a download file and less messy than me having to burn disks.  Thank you for the feedback.

gameroomsolutions

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 11:45:27 am »
Here is an updated layout for the next prototype cut. Please let me know if you guys think this is better.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 12:42:17 pm »
Here is an updated layout for the next prototype cut. Please let me know if you guys think this is better.

Might want to redo the layout a bit to get more useable scrap from the piece rather than waste that much useable area ! (figure with a couple adjustments there is enough space for a second Control Panel and Admin panel off the same board in case you want to try different layouts for the buttons)

ie.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:47:13 pm by JDFan »

gameroomsolutions

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 04:11:10 pm »
I hear you.  I am really looking for a standard layout that fits most people.  I am also going to offer a blank control board that still has the cam system, but just blank so guys can create their own layout.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 05:29:32 am »
make sure there is room for 23" monitor. the asus 23" and 24" monitors are very popular because they are the least laggy(if at all) gaming monitors. Id have room for 24" widescreen monitor. get the dimensions from newegg.com they have those monitors.

boomerps2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2018, 10:58:33 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 02:49:41 pm »
So is there a CNC file that exists for this bartop?