Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LED lighted joysticks from Hollandcomputers.com  (Read 12004 times)

Sarver Systems

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2020, 12:46:05 am
LED lighted joysticks from Hollandcomputers.com
« on: August 14, 2014, 03:46:20 pm »
I purchased these from www.hollandcomputers.com for a cocktail build.

I purchased a blue for P1 and a red for P2.

http://www.hollandcomputers.com/store/pc/Illuminated-LED-Arcade-Joystick-Switchable-from-8-way-to-4-way-Red-2395p6783.htm

The mounting the plates for these are slightly different than a standard joystick, so prepare to rearrange you mounting holes slightly, or route out a little more real estate from the underside of your control panel.

Once my control panel was modified, I mounted and connected the joysticks.

Connecting the joysticks was a little confusing at first because there are 2 plugs that the controls can plug into. There is no documentation showing why there are 2. A quick email to holland computers, and I was shown a diagram of the joystick that at least showed me the pinout of the 2 connectors. I picked one, and hoped it worked. I lucked out and got it right on the first try.

The 3rd connector is for the LED. That was very straight forward.

I got everything wired up, and fired up a game.

These joysticks are terrible. TERRIBLE.

They are VERY loud, and there is a TON of play from 1 contact to the other. I had to switch the restrictor plate from 8-way to 4-way in hopes of cleaning up some of the slop in the stick. No go. Even in 4-way, ms pac-man is nearly unplayable. Even my fiancee who is not a skilled player commented on how it was difficult to control, and she didn't even know I was upset about them too.

I'll be swapping these for something better ASAP.

Save your money and buy something different.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: LED lighted joysticks from Hollandcomputers.com
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 05:37:27 pm »
That's a shame cause those looked pretty cool in the pic.  Am I seeing it correct, the shaft is lit as well?

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 06:32:50 pm »
Yes, the LEDs are actually in the base, under the control panel. The light travels up the shaft and around the ball itself.

That sounds waaaay too sexual.

lamprey

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2019, 07:03:11 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 11:50:40 am »
Out of curiosity, have you ever used the joystick those are based on? I don't have any like that, but it looks like a Seimitsu...? So, just curious if the non-modified sticks feel the same or if they have changed the feel of the stick while making modifications.

:cheers:

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 12:03:49 pm »
These are the first aftermarket sticks I have ever used, and the first LED lit sticks I have ever used. So I can't really compare them to anything.

I took the 1 stick out and replaced it with the stick that came with the kit that I bought, and it is a world of difference. THe movement, the sound, the feel, and most of all, the control is eaxactly how it should be.

I'd be happy to sell these to someone if they wanted to try them out if hollandcomputers doesnt refund them for me. Or I might just use them in a jamma tester that I've been building.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 08:36:11 pm »
Out of curiosity, have you ever used the joystick those are based on? I don't have any like that, but it looks like a Seimitsu...?

Seimitsu LS-40's to be precise.  At least, that is what they appear to be at first glance.

TNHANK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2016, 11:28:26 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 08:07:34 pm »
I bought them.  Looks nice but require maintence screwing back on the ball etc.
really loud and the shaft is way to small. Regret the purchase.