Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Mounting speakers just below the marquee, should the speaker be dropped into the hole or be screwed in behind it?

Behind the wood making use of the gasket
1 (100%)
Dropped so the wood is not visable between the grill and the speaker
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: May 14, 2019, 04:09:48 am

Author Topic: "Coin Art" (Updated 2021)  (Read 40138 times)

jimfath

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2021, 02:58:31 am
  • IT consultant
Re: New build... first build..."The Machine"?
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2012, 05:27:57 pm »
I managed to amass enough cardboard to build a big block of what the cabinet will look like. I made the dimensions roughly the same size and erred on the side of being slightly larger. I just needed to make sure that this cabinet won't overwhelm my small apartment infuriating my GF any further.

Cool! It fits throw the hallway out the door.

Old cabinet occupying same space

@jimfath

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2012, 09:02:21 pm »
. . . . . . infuriating my GF any further.

Speaking of Infuriating your GF, the pic has her bra on the end table. 

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2012, 09:06:11 pm »

Speaking of Infuriating your GF, the pic has her bra on the end table.

Oh... yeah... that's HER bra alright... I mean why would it be anyone elses. No one likes to build cabinets in lingerie right? You're talking crazy go nuts.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:22:35 pm by jimfath »
@jimfath

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 04:13:20 pm »
So I got more tokens this week. Probably enough to cover what I would like to do with the cut out artwork. I was sad to find that the bag of random tokens didn't include any from Aladdin's Castle which was a staple of mine growing up. Not as much as Fun N Games but enough to want to include it.

Hey look! Someone in my building is throwing out a perfectly good cardboard arcade machine.
@jimfath

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2014, 11:47:59 pm »
REBOOTED.

A friend of mine is now helping me with the wood working.

I have a bag full of Electric Ice buttons with leaf springs.

Noticed they now have something called Helio9 which sound brighter. Anyone have any insight?
@jimfath

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 01:38:18 am »
I got a coin door this week. Not crazy about it. Since it's not going to function and is purely for aesthetic purposes I might keep looking around for another in my price range. I was outbid on a lovely williams pin coin door on Ebay. Blarg.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:09:04 am by jimfath »
@jimfath

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2022, 11:39:46 am
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 12:16:49 am »
Ha... That's crazy. But he's right, 90's Russia was SUPER mob driven.

The name The Machine is temporary until the final CP design is decided upon. I hoping to cut it tomorrow but I'm auditioning a lot this week so I haven't had a lot of time. I like a 4 hour window to work in the garage. I also need to get more scrap wood. I heard back from Andy and confirmed that USB connection is fine on the encoders so one is being ordered.

Also, I found a picture of the first thing to wet my appetite as far as putting a cab in my house. It was in a issue of Nintendo Power. I think they were either giving it away or someone was showing the magazine what they had done.

Either way, I remember thinking "I need to make this happen"

You know, for all the trouble of amassing all the controllers and building this dedicated Nintendo Shrine, the guy doesn't have that many games.
Yeah that was a long time ago. It was published in a very early issue of Nintendo Power, so there were not very many NES games out at the time. I remember being very envious when I first read that issue. If I remember correctly this cab was recently sold on eBay.

[edit] http://www.willyliliana.com/NES%20Cabinet/NES%20Cabinet.htm
Nope I was wrong he still has it
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:20:36 am by DarakuTenshi »
My past arcade builds - Click to enlarge and get a closer look

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
Re: New build... first build..."Coin Art"
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2014, 12:24:18 am »
Gotta a new coin door. Gonna sell the old one. Just have to swap out the 25¢ label.

Spinner on order. Seriously considering upgrading the lighting to the Helio9's from GGG if I could find a video of them in action.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:47:18 am by jimfath »
@jimfath

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2014, 09:46:06 pm »
Duplicate post... derp!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 04:57:07 pm by jimfath »
@jimfath

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2014, 05:08:30 pm »
Need to decide on how many buttons I'm going to have on the control panel.

Specifically for the front end. I'm playing around hyperspin but I'm also going to look at maximus. I have a strong enough chip so resources aren't a problem. I want it to be slick but functional.

After the months and months of tweaking, I'd like this cab to eventually be keyboard free.

How many buttons for navigation do you recommend. I've been looking over the CP data base and it varies signifigantly. 

I will be using Electric Ice buttons and GGG has some nice inserts.

P1,P2,P3,P4, Credit, Pause, Esc, Enter, GO,

Are these all the function buttons I'd need?

Some people have Arrow buttons. Some have nothing at all. (I'm assuming they use their keyboards)
@jimfath

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2014, 06:17:39 pm »
For "arrow buttons", use P1 joystick.

Not sure if you'll need the Enter or Go buttons.

Many people configure the FE so P1 Button1 launches games.

Make your game/emulator list and install/configure your software so you know which admin buttons you want/need before you drill your control panel.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:20:01 pm by PL1 »

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2014, 06:49:55 pm »
:cheers:
Good idea. I didn't even consider having the joys work that way. My previous machine had mame32 on it so I have no real experience with a slick front end. I was previously just using the track ball.

I suppose the EI buttons could light up indicating what buttons are active while in the front end as well.

Welp, I'm going to have to really pick and choose a front end now. My roms and emulators are in a bunch of different places.
@jimfath

BAMBOO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2016, 06:51:20 am
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2014, 10:02:22 pm »
Ha... That's crazy. But he's right, 90's Russia was SUPER mob driven.

The name The Machine is temporary until the final CP design is decided upon. I hoping to cut it tomorrow but I'm auditioning a lot this week so I haven't had a lot of time. I like a 4 hour window to work in the garage. I also need to get more scrap wood. I heard back from Andy and confirmed that USB connection is fine on the encoders so one is being ordered.

Also, I found a picture of the first thing to wet my appetite as far as putting a cab in my house. It was in a issue of Nintendo Power. I think they were either giving it away or someone was showing the magazine what they had done.

Either way, I remember thinking "I need to make this happen"

You know, for all the trouble of amassing all the controllers and building this dedicated Nintendo Shrine, the guy doesn't have that many games.

I remember filling out like 50 forms and sending them to win this thing.  I think it was some kind of contest. 
"Every arcade we restore preserves history that we will never experience again..."

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2014, 06:15:37 am »
Parts ordered

GGG
turbo twist 2
helio9 LED's
pushbutton graphic inserts
Nova Matrix lighting for Marquee
4-way leaf pro joystick

Still waiting for AimTrak's to be available again heard it's any day now.

Still on the hunt for
cooling fans for the cabinet (Not sure what kind to get 5v? Or just get 120v and plug it into the power strip?)
Marquee bracket
@jimfath

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2014, 05:40:04 pm »
I'm thinking I should de-case my computer. I have this old Antec case that, while functional, is very large. I've been trying to see different solutions for mounting the mother board in a cabinet. Seems that many mounts are just DIY stand offs. I've seen a few others who have really nice acrylic test benches but they are really expensive.

Is anyone aware of any builds showing little more detail than a photo of mounting mother boards? 

I'm also looking at speakers right now. Some have dedicated amps and speakers while others just use just above base model pc speakers and bass units.
@jimfath

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2014, 08:18:10 pm »
Got the last of the arcade specific CP parts in this week.   

Thanks Randy and Andy...you're dandy?

Can anyone recommend how to holster the Aimtrak guns to the side of the cab? Has anyone ever painted their Aimtrak guns? Single coat spray with clear coat afterward? Considering matching it to the T-molding which will not be blue, red or black. Possibly.

Looking forward to the frankenpanel comments.

;) ;) ;) ;)
@jimfath

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2014, 02:47:02 am »
Wow.... 5 joysticks, a trigger stick, a trackball and 2 light guns!  That's a lot if hardware!  :o

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2014, 04:21:14 am »
Wow.... 5 joysticks, a trigger stick, a trackball and 2 light guns!  That's a lot if hardware!  :o
There's also a spinner in there.
@jimfath

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2014, 08:41:56 pm »
my recent showcase cab thread has plans for aimtrak side-of-cab holsters.  my brother is making sets to order if you want a set. 

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:03 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2014, 12:12:20 pm »
My spinal tap cab has face-mounted holsters on either side of the coin door. It's a pretty slick system.

When I read the title of this cab I thought it was going to look like Scrooge McDuck's money tower for some reason. Anyways, for the coins, can't you just toss them into a jug of vinegar for a few hours? That's what we used to do with pennies for some reason.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2014, 12:27:24 pm »
Anyways, for the coins, can't you just toss them into a jug of vinegar for a few hours? That's what we used to do with pennies for some reason.

The pickling action makes them taste better and extends shelf life so you can have them out of season I believe. 

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2014, 12:33:27 pm »
Anyways, for the coins, can't you just toss them into a jug of vinegar for a few hours? That's what we used to do with pennies for some reason.

The pickling action makes them taste better and extends shelf life so you can have them out of season I believe.

I find it's best to add a touch of dill. Helps with the metal taste.

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2014, 03:34:09 pm »
I live in Southern California so I'm using cilantro.

Has anyone ever cracked open the ball top on a GGG Leaf Pro? I'd like to know what the internal shaft is composed of.
I want to replace the ball top with something in a different color and texture. If it's a straight shaft then I hopeto use epoxy and permanently mount a different ball top.

@jimfath

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2014, 04:09:19 pm »

Has anyone ever cracked open the ball top on a GGG Leaf Pro? I'd like to know what the internal shaft is composed of.
I want to replace the ball top with something in a different color and texture. If it's a straight shaft then I hopeto use epoxy and permanently mount a different ball top.

I have.  It's a ---smurfing--- hassle.  Better to replace the whole stick.  I built a replacement stick out of a long bolt, only thing is you need a shaft cover, I was going with a colored one so it didn't matter but you can find some chromed pipe the right size in plumbing supply and cut a sleeve. 

IIRC the top is reverse beveled metal and that ball is ontop of another ball which is ontop of some adamantium.  ---smurfing--- hassle. 

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:03 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2014, 04:59:01 pm »
 ::)

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2014, 11:31:12 pm »

I have.  It's a ---smurfing--- hassle.  Better to replace the whole stick.  I built a replacement stick out of a long bolt, only thing is you need a shaft cover, I was going with a colored one so it didn't matter but you can find some chromed pipe the right size in plumbing supply and cut a sleeve. 

IIRC the top is reverse beveled metal and that ball is ontop of another ball which is ontop of some adamantium.  ---smurfing--- hassle.
Hmmmm... I'm curious about what's in there now. I might break one and attempt to replace it. I like the leaf feel vs the old micro's I had on my last cab. Randy informed me that they kept costs lower by not making it swappable but they might change that later on. A buddy of mine has access to a machine shop. Or he used to. I'm going to see if he can reproduce the joy shaft with a threaded top that would accept the hard candy ball tops I'm interested in.
@jimfath

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2014, 01:18:17 am »
No luck at the machine shop.

Started playing around with button layouts on some study cardboard. Too cramped. Probably going to make the CP a little wider.

@jimfath

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2016, 01:19:57 am »
So I finally got around to booking some time to work on this cab I've been stop starting forever.  :banghead:. I found a local workshop in LA that fit the bill. It's been a while since I cut wood and worked with these kinds of tools so today was all about cutting and seeing if I could fumble my way around with simple stuff. I got some cheap ply and started throwing together what I thought would be the CP. It's been a slow go. My measurements were on point but I caught a LOT of mistakes before I made them. It's only a matter of time before I mess up irrevocably. I'm looking at this as practice on ply. I had my old layout that I cut into cardboard and I used that as a rough estimate of what I wanted to do. I didn't get very far. It was slow going and I had to get some instructions on some of the tools I've never used in the woodshop.

@jimfath

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2016, 11:48:11 pm »
So, I started getting into the CP more and realized that it's not going to be wide enough. I started laying everything out and I found that there wasn't enough room for resting hands as you play. I'm going to add an additional 5 inches. The depth is OK but I might not like that either.  So the board is basically scrap. Which is fine because I figured I wouldn't get it right out of the gate.

SO, I went ahead and drilled the holes for the buttons anyway but I center balanced everything. So the buttons would be the proper distance from the left and the right sides and I'd eventually run out of room in the middle. As you can see, the buttons on P1 ended up overlapping with the trackball housing. Next I cut the board right down the middle. This way I use it as a rough template on the longer board. I'm going to practice with the router on the board and see if I can set up a jig to cut out the joy mounts next.

The wood was splintering pretty badly. I was using fostner bits. next time I don't go all the way though and flip the board over. I think that will help???

@jimfath

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2016, 12:31:55 am »
Put a piece of scrap board under your control panel when you drill with the forstner bit. That will prevent splintering and blowouts.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2023, 12:41:00 pm
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2016, 02:02:50 pm »
Put a piece of scrap board under your control panel when you drill with the forstner bit. That will prevent splintering and blowouts.

This. 

If you don't have scrap wood to spare, you can technically do the thing where you drill partway on one side, and then flip it.  Just make sure you drill a small pilot hole for the center of each hole.  That way, you stand half a chance of the hole being straight and not zig-zagging its way through the wood.  Truthfully, I recommend drilling the pilot holes, regardless of the method you use.

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2016, 03:20:32 pm »
Yes, I had a smooth piece of scrap mdf underneath. Still blew out badly. I tried faster and slower speeds and cranking. Didn't have much luck. I'll be trying again today.
@jimfath

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2016, 12:03:33 am »
I didn't have a lot of time so I worked on using the router. I literally haven't handled one since shop class. Which was also the time I broke it. (Took WAY to big a cut). So, after some cutting of scrap with a plunge router, I  worked on creating a router jig. I saw a sticky on how to do this so I started squaring wood and tried to make one. Seemed pretty easy. I'm going to be back there tomorrow to glue them together. I might make one for the track ball, flight stick and ultra stick as well. In cutting on MDF I realized that I hate the dust it makes. SO much dust. I was considering an MDF CP top as it seemed like it would be more sculptable but hand cutting it was a mess.

@jimfath

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2018, 02:06:55 am »
Sooooooo after some trial and error and more and more error, I officially outsourced the lion's share of cutting and building this cabinet. My lines were never straight enough to meet the design I planned out and it started getting expensive constantly starting over. In the end, I would have been more pissed at the sub par finished project than I am that I can't build the damn thing myself. Oh well.  :-\

I found a local guy in LA that does nothing but custom cabs and sent him my pitch. He said he only takes on a few projects he's in interested in building. He liked the concept and has been working on it for a few months off and on. I'll post more pics as i get them.

I still don't have a name for this thing yet either. Coin Arc?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:26:10 am by jimfath »
@jimfath

vaportrail

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2018, 04:52:06 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156442.0.html
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2018, 09:26:57 am »
LOL...I clicked and saw the original post was from 2011 andI thought to myself, who brought this thread back to life?  Then I got to the end and was amazed....it looks awesome! Kudos to you for sticking with it!  I love the coin art on the sides!  :applaud:

How bout Arcoin?

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: New build... first build..."Coin Art" (Updated 2018)
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2018, 04:10:37 pm »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: Arcoin > Arcoinoid, > Arcoinaid, > Arcoinade,   :laugh2:

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
Re: New build... first build..."Coin Art" (Updated 2018)
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2018, 12:53:47 am »
Coming along. Electric Ice2 buttons and large track ball Working out the kinks with wiring.

The tokens behind the space invader will be replaced with 90's quarters. He didn't have them when he was putting them together.

Anyone know if Xin Mo controllers play nice with LED wiz?

Also trying to figure out the power posts for the AIMtrack gun with recoil.

Also found a really cool GoT cabinet the guy was working on. He's experimenting with making plywood swords at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 01:05:26 am by jimfath »
@jimfath

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: &quot;Coin Art&quot; (Updated 2018)
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2018, 09:26:08 am »
Really like the way thats shaping up!
Very unique.

jimfath

• Offline Offline
  • IT consultant
Re: "Coin Art" (Updated 2018)
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2018, 01:48:38 pm »
Help with LED WIZ
So all the construction is done but we are running into issues with wiring. Can't seem to get it to work. Here's an email I got from the guy putting it together

"Hello Jim...about your arcade I been struggling very much with the led wiz and can't figure it out. I have tried so many options but nothing seems to work 100%, I got the buttons to light up with a version of mame called power mame and the lights started to work when I used with ledblinky but not for everything. The software from led wiz won't work with power mame which means I can not load a lot of games that other versions of mame does, like all the street fighters they do not run on this version and then on the other systems like Nintendo and segas can't get them to work is a bit frustrating for me because normally is easy for me to learn something fast but this is very confusing and lacking on support and tutorials most of them are for pinball machines. Is there any info, doc, or tutorials on setting up LED wiz on multi platforms arcade cabs?"
@jimfath

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
Re: "Coin Art" (Updated 2018)
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2018, 01:11:06 pm »
Interesting color scheme.  Damn that's shiny!  Sorry, but I use Ultimarc and LEDBlinky.  Not sure about the Wiz.